1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Vacation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Sackett

Andrew Sackett Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm going camping for about a week and the only people who will be able to feed my fish is a relative I know he can feed flakes but what I'm worried about is my bristlenose pleco I don't think he will want to grab an algae wafer out of the tank each time he feeds them, so should I starve the BR pleco or try to see if my relative would do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +8
    If its only a week, i wouldn't ask anyone to feed the fish for fear of them being overfed.

Fish can last about 2weeks without food, but can be easily overfed and quickly die. There's also the risk of them not eating leftover food, that rottign and causing ammonia spikes whilst you are away.

The safest thing to do would be to feed them before you go and again when you get home.x

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +917
    I agree - I have left my fish for a week with no problems. Its better to not feed than have them overfed ( maybe by accident by some well meaning neighbor )
    Do a nice big water change the day before you go, feed your normal amount and then go.

They will be fine :)

4. SW5

SW5 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have gone on vacations as long as 1.5 weeks without my fish being fed. They should be perfectly fine.

5. Andrew Sackett

Andrew Sackett Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +39
    The only fish that you would need worry over in a vacation of one or two weeks would be fry, which haven't the resources of adults, obviously.
    If you are still worried, you could always lower the tank temperature a couple of degrees, which will slow their metabolism, but really is not at all necessary.-----rick

7. Chunk101

Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Or could you not put the appropriate amounts food and place it in a pill box. They probably don't even have to be fed everyday, perhaps every other day. And break up the algae wafers?

I know if I went away for a week and not fed my goldfish they would OBLITERATE whatever plants I have in the tank.

Just a thought.

8. poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Same here. But if you don't have goldfish you probably don't need to worry. I'm in the same situation, leaving in two weeks for 4 days, which isn't very long granted, but enough to make me nervous. Just be grateful you don't have a sick fish that you have to leave behind. If they're healthy, they should be fine.

9. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +39
    I fully understand your concern over leaving an ill fish alone for any amount of time, but with healthy fish, please note the following, which is not addressed to poeticinjustices, but rather to anyone who fears for fish starving during one's vacation.
    Fish, Amphibians, and Reptiles are ectotherms (cold blooded, sort of)--this means that their body temperature tends to match the environment, and that they thermoregulate by moving to warmer or cooler areas. As a result, they expend about 10% of their energy on maintaining ideal body temperature.
    Birds and mammals are endotherms, warm blooded, and attempt to keep their temperature at a given temperature regardless of the environment--they therefore expend about 90% on their energy on maintaining an ideal body temperature.
    This is why you can leave your pet snake without food for easily a month, but you pet canary might starve to death within three days. (newcomers to keeping herps, remember that water is far more important to herps than is food in the short term).
    So, keeping fish without food, assuming that they are not fry, is no more starving them than is keeping a pet snake without food for two weeks starving him---although neither are ideal feeding practices, both will do quite well without food for a couple of weeks, the main difference being that many snakes are fed too infrequently, and many fish too often.
    There is of course, a great deal of difference in feeding the two, as snakes can accommodate much more of a meal at one feeding than can fish--still, both being exotherms, two weeks is a breeze for the adults of either.----rick

10. Mortisha

Mortisha Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the feeding blocks when I go on vac. The ones I use look like a pyramid but they come in many shapes and sizes.

11. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Unfortunately those vacation feeder products are much more likely to cause problems than just not feeding the fish while you're gone. They can foul up the water and cause ammonia spikes. I'd much rather have my fish a little hungry in clean water than full but being poisoned by ammonia. Some of the chalk feeders dissolve very quickly too so the fish still end up without food for the rest of the time anyway.

12. Mortisha

Mortisha Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    FiscCyning I have used the same kind for 20+ yrs and have never had any issues with water clarity or perimeters when I get back.

13. Zackary

Zackary Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
  14. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    :) It sounds like you found a good kind that does work. That's great since some of them can cause problems. I guess not all brands are equal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.