Upgrading from cycled 10g to new 37g....Need to cycle the 37g

1. YoungClayB Member Member

I currently have a well cycled 10g tank and just got a new (well used actually) 37g tank that will need to be cycled.

The cycled 10g currently has the following fish:
    -2 Platys
    -1 Dwarf Gourami
    -1 Rubber Lipped Pleco

I want to keep the 10g tank set up - so this technically isnt an upgrade, but more of an addition.

Here is what I am thinking of doing. Please let me know if this will work.

1. Get the 37g tank all set up with water and filter (Marineland Penguin 200)
    2. Move the 2 Platys from the 10g tank to the 37g tank
    2. Take the Aqualand 5-10 filter media out of the 10g tank and place it in the filter box of the Penguin 200 in the 37g tank
    4. Replace the Aqualand 5-10 filter media with a new cartridge
    5. Wait for a couple of days and if ammonia and nitrite are under control in the 37g tank, go ahead and move the remaining fish to the 37g tank.

My assumptions are:
    1. There will be enough bacteria in the ornaments and substrate of the 10g tank to support a filter media swap (old for new)
    2. The old filter media from the 10g tank will be sufficient to help "seed" the bacteria in the new 37g tank.

What do you guys think?

2. snapper Well Known Member Member

I think your assumption 1 is doubtful. What I would do is set up the 37 gallon, move all the fish and run both filters on it for a good 2-3 weeks, testing a lot at first to make sure it's handling it ok. Once the Penguin filter is good and gunked up with bacteria, move the Aqualand filter back to the 10 gallon with the fish you want to keep in there.

3. YoungClayB Member Member

I like it...nice and simple. Thanks

4. YoungClayB Member Member

Now that I am thinking about it, do I really need to run Both filters? How is running both filters in the 37g any different than putting the 5-15 filter cartridge in front of the penguin 200 cartridge?

And then after a few weeks, I can remove the 5-15 cartridge and put it back in the 10g. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. snapper Well Known Member Member

The only reason I suggest that is because the bacteria are on all the surfaces of the filter, not just the cartridge, and 10g-37g of water is a big enough leap for it to make that every little bit will help. :)

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I personally like the idea of putting the old media in front of the Penquin 200 cartridge.

The bacteria will transfer to the new media quicker. And since you aren't upping the bioload any, I think any bacteria lost to the surfaces of the old filter housing would quickly be replaced with new bacteria, since the bacteria (if given enough food) will double every 24 hours.

7. YoungClayB Member Member

I wonder why pet stores dont sell "pre cycled" filter media...I guess they wouldn't make as much money as what they make on all the bacterial supplements. :-?

8. deon junior Member Member

i agree