Upgrade

1. Bellatrix Member Member

Hello,

I recently received a Baby BiOrb (15 LTE) as a gift from my mum, she cycled it for a month and added six Vietnamese Minnows (which are seemingly doing well so far, playing, eating, nosey, ritual dancing, it's been a week) before she gave it to me as a present. Yes I know it's too small and yes I know you'll say I should have researched first but as I said it was a gift, and my mum only thought she was doing right following my therapists advice. He suggested fish keeping as a hobby and a form of relaxation for me, I suffer from a variety of mental health issues and I have to say since having the fish, I'm feeling a little better.

To rectify the issue of the small tank I've purchased a 30 LTE for the little guys. I know some people would say it's still too small but you have to understand money isn't something I'm loaded with and the upgrade to the 30 LTE BiOrb really stretched me, I would have purchased the 60 LTE if I could afford it but as someone on disability benefits it's just impossible to folk that kind of money out in one go.

I want to transfer the little guys to their new home ASAP and as I obviously can't do a fish less cycle and leave them crowded for a month, plus I don't have the room to have two tanks set up. I was wondering how to go about safety moving them from one tank to the other?

The tank they're in now is stocked with plants (fake) and a little cave which they love.
    Can these be moved into the new tank too and if so how?
    Also I have some new things to go in there, how do I do that safely?
    I've purchased everything I need to make the transfer ie; water conditioner, live bottled bacteria, testing kits, bucket, jug, exc..

Please be detailed when responding and please be polite. I've asked this same thing on another forum and the members there were terribly rude and failed to even answer the question.

Yes I know my mum should have read up about it first but she was only thinking of me and my mental well being (recent suicide attempt, please do not give sympathy, I only mention it to make sure you understand my mums haste when following the therapists advice).

Thank you for reading and I'll look forward to hearing from you!

:)

Also I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put the sponge filter from the running tank into the new one?

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

That would be a very good idea! If that filter is already cycled it should set up an instant cycle in the new tank. But be sure the new water is dechlorinated or else it'll destroy all that beneficial bacteria!

3. Bellatrix Member Member

Thanks for the response. :)

Should I put the old tank water into the new one, then top up with treated water that's been left for 24 hours in the same room?

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You could also use the old tank water yes though I think completely new water would be okay so long as it's dechlorinated. If you have dechlorinater then I'd say the most you'd have to wait is like 5 minutes, if that. I usually put my dechlorinater in the bucket first than put water in bucket. Mixes it up good and it's good for instant use.

I think what you can do is transport them and their old water into new tank, along with the old filter, then top them off with dechlorinated tap water.

Be sure to rinse all of your new stuff before using. A simple rinse in hot water should do. Don't use any soaps though.

I think it's as simple as that, unless somebody else has any more input.

EDIT: I just noticed you wish to also use old ornaments too. I think that you could then, put the fish and their old water in a plastic bag? And while they're there, move all the decorations how you want them to be in the new one, then continue with the process as I said before, putting them in and topping it off.

5. Bellatrix Member Member

Thanks for replying again. :)

I thought it would be better to let the water stand for 24 hours to get it room temperature the same as the existing water in their old tank?

Housing an extra 15 LTEs of water for 24 hours is going to difficult so my mum came up with the idea of putting the 15 LTEs of existing water into the 30 LTE tank and putting the 15 LTE bubble tube into the new tank just until the new treated water is ready (I'll use the empty 15 LTE to house the new treated water for 24 hours) then put the 30 LTE bubble tube back into the 30 LTE tank when it's topped up but use the old sponge instead of a new one.
    Does that make sense?

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Oh I see I had blanked on the temperature acclimation! That sounds good! Though I think 24 hours is way more than you'd need for water to adjust temperature probably not even 2 hours but let's say 2 hours just to be safe? Although it depends what room temperature is in comparison to your tap water.

7. Bellatrix Member Member

Thanks for advice.
    Anyone got anything to add?

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

+1

Also good luck and I hope everything goes well for you and your fish! The forums are always here to help if you have any questions!

9. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Glad to have you here. :)

Fishkeeping is definitely very relaxing and a rewarding hobby! It's why I enjoy it and am addicted!

First, I would read about the nitrogen cycle (click on the blue words that will lead you to a link) as that is the very first step in understanding how to sustain a healthy environment for your new fishy friends.

Could you also tell us what testing kit you bought as well as what kind of bottled bacteria? Please also post those water parameters from your tank as well as your water source - pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. We can then better guide you as to what the next steps should be. :)

Transferring the water from the old tank to the new one wouldn't help as most of the beneficial bacteria resides in the filter media and a little on the substrate and decor. So I would just forget about the old tank water and fill up the new tank with new dechlorinated water.

As far as stocking, yes, 30 liters is small for those fish as they are very active but we've all been in similar circumstances with our first tanks so don't fret and no one will criticize you or your mom for it. If you're able to now or at a later time, I suggest exchanging those fish for maybe a betta with some shrimp and/or snails. Bettas are very lovely fish with extremely engaging personalities and would do great in that tank size! :)

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

Also, here's a great intro to fishkeeping that I found very useful when starting out:

Freshwater Aquarium Book

10. Bellatrix Member Member

So many people say different things, it's so confusing.

Thanks for the reply though. :)

11. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Are there any specific areas you are confused about? We can help you as best we can. :)

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. If it's cycling you are confused about, a lot of people have done it differently depending on what works for them and their setup. But the basic understanding of the nitrogen cycle is still the same and is the end goal for getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates.

We can start with your water parameters and go from there?

12. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum! It is a great place to learn so much about this hobby. Sorry you got negative reactions elsewhere. Ideal and realistic are not always the same, some people don't understand that. I do agree that a Betta might be a nice alternative if you can exchange the fish you have, but if you are attached to these fish then stick with them.

13. Brizburk Member Member

Welcome to the relaxing world of fish keeping. I've had my tank for a couple years but still consider myself as a noob :)

I love the idea of keeping your same filter media (with the beneficial bacteria) and the same tank water, that will allow you to put your fish in your new tank right away.

Also - pics? We'd love to see your fishies

14. Brizburk Member Member

How are your fishies doing?

15. Bellatrix Member Member

Thanks for all the responses.

Unfortunately I've had problems with the water in my original tank. Forming surface bubbles from dried bloodworm (apparently protein in the water) so I cannot use the old tank water but the new tank is being set up on Sunday and the fish will transported to the new bigger tank then.

16. Rachelkg12 Initiate Member

It will be fine either way don't worry!