Type of Algae?

1. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I have three things to address. First is this black short-threaded algae that's starting to show up in my Betta 10g tank on a few plants. I suspect this is the beginning of BBA. Is this correct? If it is, can I temporarily transfer my Siamensis Algae Eater over from my 40g to take care of this problem for me? My only concern is, I have Red Cherry Shrimp in this tank as well. Will the SAE eat the shrimp?

Secondly, you can see a clear goo-like substance with a black dot in the middle. Is this a limpet snail? At first I thought they were eggs from either the Nerite or the Yellow Mystery snail I have, but I realized they don't look like eggs and they're moving, but very slowly. If they are limpets, should I be worried?

[​IMG]

And finally, I've been fighting this brown algae in my 40 gallon. None of my eaters seem to be able to control this, not my Starlight Pleco, my Otos, or my SAE, or my millions of MTS. This seems to grow in rings and streaks. It's pretty clear they're thriving on the light, as they don't grow on the glass where the light is weak. I do regular water changes with this tank. I wouldn't mind this algae except it's extremely hard to scrape from the glass. I have to use my muscle to actually get this off the glass and my arm is tired before I'm even done scraping. This algae isn't showing up in any of the algae sites I've been reading to try and identify this.

[​IMG]

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

What are your:
    Light type & length on
    Water parameters and phosphate if you have it
    Water temp
    Fertilizers used
    Substrate
    Filter?

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

It appears to me you have staghorn and Green Spot algae. BBA does not branch that I am aware of.

If you follow the link in my signature on tank algae it can help determine how to rid your tank of it.

Each form of algae is caused by a different imbalance between lighting, fertilization and CO2.

4. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Light type & length on -

GLO T5 HO single flourscent light. It has a 39 watt T5 bulb that's at 6700K with polished aluminum reflector suspended 4 inches above the tank. Timer comes on at 8 A.M. and goes off at 11 P.M. so... whoah, 15 hours. No wonder I'm having algae issues...

Water parameters - Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 Nitrate - 10 ppm pH - 6.8-7.0 hard to tell exactly which one it is.

Water temp - 79 F

Fertilizers used - Seachem Flourish Comprehensive though lately I've been inconsistent, two weeks with, one week no ferts, then the next week with. I need to set up a schedule to dose.

Substrate - Standard sand

Filter - Marineland Magnum HOT Canister filter with just filter floss.

The same is pretty much true for my 10g except that one just has a standard aquarium floruscent light with Coralife 50/50 bulb and aluminum foil as a reflector.

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely reduce the lighting. 8-10 hours is all that is needed for plant health.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I agree on staghorn, its easy to get rid of imo. Watch the SAE, he will out grow the tank, and may find your betta delicous.

7. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

You're thinking of the CAE. CAEs get aggressive. SAEs don't. Right now the SAE is in my 40g, not the betta tank.

And I'll reduce the lighting hours. Thanks!

8. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

OHHH i see what you ment :p. My bad, im sorry. But with stag horn, reducing light normaly helps so that should be good. Also, keeping up the ferts will help. As i always reccomend, to help things quicken remove asmuch by hand as possible while treating(obvioulsy it can grow back, but if you fixed the problem it shouldnt)

9. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

On another forum, someone said that the last photo is of Green Dust Algae, which occurs only on the glass, and that seems to fit the bill since this doesn't seem to be on any of the plants, just the glass.

Caused by intense lighting and too long lights.

I've turned down the lighting to about 10 hours. How long before it disappears, do you know?