1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Trapdoor Snail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather M

Heather M Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Does anyone here have trapdoor snails? Can you tell me about your experience with them? I'm thinking of getting two for a 10g divided betta tank to control algae and uneaten food. I don't mind if they climb the divider and come and go as they please from one side to another, just as long as they keep the tank clean. What do you think? If you don't think I should get trapdoor snails, could you give me another suggestion?

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    hello heather! i personally own trapdoor snails they do great eating bits of left over food and algae, be sure you know that they can get to golf ball size(or bigger) within months, so try picturing two golf ball size objects in your tank, so I would get one, but one that is already decent size, or if you really wanted two snails try a couple olive snails there are lots of other medium sized snails, i've seen them but i'm no expert with snails or my memory so hopefully another member can list a few med size snails for you

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. iloveengl

iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +51
    My only concern would be that some bettas might harass them and nip at their antennae thingys. Depends on the betta's personality, though; I have one that totally ignores the snail and another that I wouldn't dare add a snail (or any other living creature) with him. An oto is another option, but that's kinda like the snail - may go badly if it's a naughty/aggressive betta.

Hmmm, I can't think of that one snail that's totally hidden under it's shell, but it could eat all it wanted without being harassed. Maybe someone else can think of it? :)

5. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.