tiger barb help please

1. stanman Initiate Member

Just added 4 tiger barbs to my planted 20 gal tall. First time with barbs. They all went to a corner and are just chillin. Not showing any sign of disease and eating once a day. They have been like that for three days now, is this normal? Tank cycled for 6 weeks, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, pH 6.8, ammonia .10, temp 78F. should i add more in a week or so? No other fish in tank.Went to the lfs and they said ammonia was high and said to use AmQuel plus, but im a bit sketchy about adding it. Thanks for any help, great sight.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome.

0.1 ppm is not that high, and if the tank is cycled it'll be taken care of. An excess of ammonia is needed in order for the bacteria colony to multiply. However, prolonged exposure, even at that level, wll take a toll on the fish. If it gets higher I would do a 30% water change.

As for your fish - are the babies or full grown adults?

3. platy ben Well Known Member Member

As said above 0.1 PPM is not high and may just be the result of adding the barbs and their bio-load settling down, when i bought my tiger barbs they swam around as normal so something may be wrong, are their stomachs pinched in? and do they eat well?

4. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Great advice from Jaysee. Just to add, I wouldn't add anymore fish until your tank is fully cycled. The 4 tiger barbs are enough to keep your bacteria alive. Adding more fish would probably ruin the cycle. What did you use to start your tank's cycle? Keep us posted. :;hf

5. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore. :;hi1
    Sorry your having problems. You said your tank cycled for 6 weeks. What method did you use to cycle it? Also what test kit are you using to test your water perimeters? Especially if the LFS said they were high. This is just my opinion but it sounds like they are being effected from the ammonia. and it sounds like your tank isn't cycled after all. You have 0 nitrates. If this were me I would do a 50% water change and I would use Prime for a water conditioner. Prime detoxifies the ammonia and nitrites makign them safe for the fish but still allows the good bacteria to use them and multiply. Let us know some of the answers and we can better help you. Welcome again and I hope your tiger barbs start to act normal soon, it's stinks when we are worrying about the fish instead of being able to enjoy them.

6. stanman Initiate Member

I cycled with fish food twice a day.Also i planted it about a week after initial set up. I use the Mardel test strips. I did a 25% change the day after i got them and have another schedualed for tonight. When I do changes i use Tetra Aquasafe. The TBs are still fairly young. Today three of them started chasing one another, but still go back to the corner. Thanks for the quick responses, and i admit i am still a newbie, so all the advice helps.:;thx

7. Camacho Member Member

8. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore! :D

Is the tank heavily planted or just a few plants? If it's heavily planted that could explain why there is no nitrates, other than that, maybe your tank isn't cycled.

If your using test strips they have been known to be inaccurate. What is most reccomended on this site is the API (liquid) master test kit. It's a bit pricey but well worth it.

9. stanman Initiate Member

barbs are well.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Good!

11. stanman Initiate Member

Traded the tiger barbs with a friend for 7 zebra danios. He had 8 already, so they got a good home. Just to much fin nipping, i think i like peaceful fish better.

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Stanman and Welcome to Fish Lore. Glad to hear your fish are doing well. Hope you're enjoying the site.
    Ken