1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

the big move

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I finally moved my fish from the 35 gal to the 72 gallon. I started right after work and just finished. What do you guys think? Now I have room for new fish, yay!!!

Attached Files:

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +435
    :) I like it! I bet your fish do too, good job!

3. Beth1965

Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
    That's a big job and looks like you did a good one.
    Did you run into any glitches? I ask because I am going to be doing some re decorating which will require me to empty out and refill the tanks.
    Thanks!

4. redlessi

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok so I was a little nervous when I got up this morning. I rushed downstairs with fingers crossed that everything was good with the crew since I moved them all last night. I turned on the lights with some worry. But thanks to all of the information I got from the forum and all of the planning in my mind, everyone is doing great.

Beth as to my surprise it was smooth and without glitches. First I rinsed the tank and gravel out really well. Then I arranged the decor and added the heater. Next was the water, I used 3/4 new water and the rest from the other tank. I added the filters next, 1 new and 1 from the 35 gallon. After about a hour I started adding the fish. I used a pitcher to catch most of them and the rest with the net. Very successful with the exception of my lone 2 danios that are still in the 35 gal, partly to maintain the cycle on that tank but more because I could not catch them. When I turned on the light this morning everyone is accounted for and swimming happily and of course begging for food like they never ate. Good luck.

Now I have to decide what new fish I want to add. I had it all figured out but keep changing my mind. The tank looks a little empty now but I will let everyone get adjusted before I add anybody new.

5. redlessi

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Lucy, they seem to love it. There is soooo much more room.

6. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Beautiful! I'm sure your fish are so happy for upgrading their home. Well done! :;perfect

7. redlessi

Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for the nice comments, one more pic

Attached Files:

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Lookin' good! :)

Try not to worry too much about your fish. I've done many tank upgrades and they've always gone quite well, and you did a great job with yours.

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +215
    I just switched one of my tanks to that kind of gravel - I really like it.

For your stock - do you want lots of small fish or some larger fish or both?

10. Beth1965

Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Wonderful, thanks for the details. It will help me, Im sure. The tanks look great. Take your time with adding fish. Make sure you're sure.

11. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +16
    What an excellent looking tank :)

I think some red platys would be nice :) and maybe a dwarf gourami as a center peace fish? :)

12. redlessi

Ratings:
    +5
    I love that gravel and the price is so right. I would like to have a good mix. Initially I was thinking about adding bolivian rams............

13. platy ben

Ratings:
    +16
    Bolivian rams would be good :) just try your best to get 2 females or a male and female :) or you could get 3 or 4 and have 1 male and 2 or 3 females :).

Maybe some rams and a shoal of smaller fish :)

14. Jaysee

Ratings:
    +215
    A few rams would be nice. In addition, I would suggest a group of 3 pearl gouramis (1m/2f), a school of 12 (3m/9f) dwarf neon rainbows, 12 orange flame tetras and either a school of cherry or gold barbs.

EDIT - 2 pearls (m/f), 2 rams (m/f), 8 neon rainbows (2m/6f), 10 flame tetras, 8 corys plus the current fish.

15. platy ben

Ratings:
    +16
    Hmm, 3 pearl gouramis, I would say they would be risky, I got a group of 4 for my 45G and ended up having to separate them, ideally pearl gouramis need to be kept alone, as a breeding pair or in a group of 6 or more, from my experience :)

16. Jaysee

Ratings:
    +215
    A 72 is 60% larger than a 45. I've got a pair in my 45. Did you have 1m/3f or two pair and what happened? I'm very curoius about keeping them in larger groups, but haven't had the chance to keep more than 1 or 2 in a tank.

17. platy ben

Ratings:
    +16
    I got them all young so I wasnt sure at the time but looking at them now, 1 male 3 females :). Lets try not to hijack redlessis friend though :)

18. redlessi

Ratings:
    +5
    Its fine especially since you guys are talking about what I can add to my tank............

19. platy ben

Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks lessi :)

Well is there anything else you would like to add other than the bolivians?

20. redlessi

Ratings:
    +5
    Not sure, would love some angels but I think I am going to put them in the 35 that only has 2 danios in it for now. Maybe a school of rummy nose tetras........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.