1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Tank upgrade 20 gallon to 75 gallon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stef

stef Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone-
    I'm posting this in the beginner forum as I'm only a year + into salt water tanks and still have very much to learn. I currently have a 20 gallon saltwater tank that has been up and running for about 1 year and 6 months.
    I have 2 small clown fish and 1 fire fish, a few snails and about 5 corals.

The tank has been stable for a very long time and I have decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon.

My questions are:

When moving everything into the 75 gallon I will be unable to keep the 20 up and running. I plan to do the move in a day. I have read through research that I should buy all new sand, wash it and then add a cup or two to the new sand. To avoid hurting the tank. Is this a good idea?

Also I will keep the old live rock and transfer it to the new tank, while purchasing a large additional amount of live rock.

I am worried about throwing the tank into a cycle and hurting the fish and corals, any suggestions how to avoid that?

Also I currently have a hob filter on the 20 gallon with about 25 lbs live rock. This has worked fine, I also have a small protein skimmer.
    In the 75 gallon, I will get a larger protein skimmer, but the tank is not drilled. So I am considering either 2 HOB filters or going to a canister style filter. I've read up on these and the consensus I get is both are not ideal options. But of the two, canister seems to work best? Any suggestions here? Brands?
    I don't want to add a sump since the tank is not drilled and I've read many a flood stories.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I'm eager to learn.
    Stefanie

2. boxtop

boxtop Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Doing the same thing with freshwater. Been at it a year and wish I would have started bigger from the get go. I will follow this thread with great interest!

Good luck to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.