1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Suicidal fish!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agw09

agw09 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went shopping for about an hour, came back and couldnt see one of my platy fish.........
    I found her about 5 minutes later on the floor :'(
    I have no idea how she got out!
    I got her back in the tank and, somehow, she came back to life!!!
    I have no idea how long she was on the floor but she is swimming funny and is just letting the flow of the tank carry her around, she isnt raising her dorsal fin and only using the end of her tail to move, not moving her body at all :'(
    Does anyone know if she is going to be okay?
    She is currently resting on the stones at the back of thetank in a plant.

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +143
    That's a very long time for that fish to be out of the tank. Usually, fish will jump out to escape poor water conditions. How are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Of course, we can't say whether she'll make it but we're rooting for her.

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Either that (what Lynda said) or something really scared her. Though I will say, I had an Opaline Gourami that jumped every night after lights-out for no reason. I know this because I watched her. She'd just jump... because she could, I guess lol

Make sure you keep your water clean, and watch for any fungal and bacterial disease to pop up.

4. agw09

agw09 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All fine :'( I did a water change yesterday and checked readings before going shopping
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 10ppm
    I have just noticed i filled the tank over the limit and the water level is close to the hole where the filter line comes out, stupid!

5. agw09

agw09 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh i did put a new cave in the tank before i went shopping! Its been soaking in a bucket and i put it in before i went out, could that and the water being so high have done it?

6. LyndaB

Ratings:
    +143
    Maybe she was just being adventurous. Don't kick yourself for this one. It could've, and has, happened to any one of us.

7. agw09

agw09 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have put out the light and will check before i go to bed :s Hope she's okay, one of my favourites :(

8. OUTINFRONT

OUTINFRONT Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not to be a downer but pretty sure she will not survive,good luck though and sorry to hear.

9. agw09

agw09 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm impressed she even survived at all.
    She looks a bit brain damaged and is currently swimming into the side of the tank and not trying to turn :(. Not holding out much hope now.
    Was going to move her into the quarantine/hospital tank to recover but decided not to move her since she's been through so much already.
    We'll see in the morning :(

10. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +36
    the fact that she is swimming still is a good sign, let her relax, fish seem to be very resilient

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +449
    I don't want to give you false hope, but a member on this forum named Shawnie had a betta (if I remember correctly) jump from a tank. She didn't know how long it was out of the water, and only noticed when she saw that the dog was lixking something (turned out it was the fish). She thought for sure it was a goner, but the fish pulled through.

So hopefully, you'll end up with a great fish story. Good luck!

12. bowcrazy

bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +50
    There are all kinds of reasons for fish to jump. Some are natural born jumpers because of the way they catch their food in the wild and some jump to get away from a predator and some fish just get over active during mating. I have known Oscars who jump to kick the lid open to let the owners know they are ready to be fed. They can jump out of a tank if there is even the smallest of an opening. I have had Platies and Swords jump out at the opening for the filter before. Some I have been able to save a few but most not, so there is a little hope but not much, only time will tell.

13. deon junior

deon junior Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i have had at least 5 fish jump out of my tanks in the last few years and all of them survived!

14. LyndaB

Ratings:
    +143
    how do things look this morning?

15. agw09

agw09 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!!!

She is fine :D!! So happy! She is using her body, is coming to the front of the tank and eating with the others :D :D.
    On the down side my boyfriend now thinks he has god-like powers for saving her lol!!!

16. LyndaB

Ratings:
    +143
    That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you..... and her. :;hf

17. agw09

agw09 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much :D and for all the positivity.
    People at my work thought i was crazy for being upset that she might die.
    I love them as much as my dog!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.