Stocking question 15 Gallon Tank

1. seano Initiate Member

Hi all, if I have a 15 gallon(60 litre) tank and have 6 danios/2 platys/3 guppies and 6 shrimp am I fully stocked?? Thanks advance.

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would say you are fully stocked now

3. Nick G Well Known Member Member

I'd agree. I wouldn't add anymore fish if it were me.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree.

5. seano Initiate Member

thought so, thanks all

6. Betafish305ca Member Member

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I really like that link and am quite impressed with it - he is always fixing and tweeking it.

I don't like the 1 inch per gallon rule for several reasons - mainly, the length of a fish is just one aspect and does not take any other factors into account. For example - you could easily keep more than 29 inches of neons in a 29 gallon tank, but you couldn't even keep 15 inches of goldfish in a 29.

Also, filtration is one of the most important aspects of determining stocking levels, which the 1 inch per gallon rule doesn't address.

That is why that link is so good - it takes almost all aspects into account.

8. Shadowbeam Member Member

I must admit I use this link alot, I find it really helpful, can also be handy for showing that some fish might not go together well.

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Agreed, you bring up some very valid points. Swim space is also an important factor to look at.
    However, I do like to use it as a guideline for beginners looking at small fish for a small tank.