Stocking ideas?

1. jglove276 Member Member

Well I am looking for some stocking advice. I am currently working out some issues with my tank cycle in the Aquarium Beginners forum but I am sure I will get there. Here are some fish I like just want to know if they will work with my tank and with each other and how many can I have.

Harlequin Rasbora
    Tiger Barb
    Starry Night Pleco
    marble veils angel

Also is there a certain order to add these.
    I have a 38gal tank and more info in my bio with pics.

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Jglove,

The angel fish, I'd go with only one. Tiger Barbs prefer to be in a group of 6 or more. I'm not very experienced with the others. Wait for other members to share their opinions :)

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I think the tiger barbs might shred the angels long flowing fins

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

This was my first thought, too. But I've never had personal experience with them - just read other people's anecdotes about their nippy behavior. Sorry I can't be of more help with stocking.

If you have any questions about the cycle, how to get it started, what your readings should be, etc., just ask. We're happy to help. :)

5. jglove276 Member Member

Ok did some more research and would agree the tiger barbs probably would not play nice with an angle so I think I found an alternative.

6-8 Harlequin Rasbora
    6 Tiger Barb (kids are set on having these)
    Pair of Bolivian Rams

It is my understanding that Bolivian Rams are more forgiving than GBR. Has anyone have any experience with these? And should they be added last. Also I would like to have a pair but not sure I can handle them mating would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I have two female bolivian rams. I was unable to keep them in the same tank until I upgraded them to a multi-hiding spot 55 gallon tank. They are a fantastic fish and a lot of fun, but they can be territorial against each other so separate territories is a must.

I hope this helps!

7. jglove276 Member Member

with my tank size would it be better to just have one?

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?

9. jglove276 Member Member

36"wide 12"deep 18"tall

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'd say yes, one may be better. I tried both of mine in a 29g, which has a footprint just a little smaller than your tank and they didn't get along in that tank, either.

That is my experience, though. Others may have had better luck. Also, lots and lots of hiding places will make a HUGE difference in compatibility.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

11. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I just got 2 bolivian rams this week and they are both in my 35 gal tank. So far they are getting along really well except for a push here and there. I initially thought that each would take a side of the tank for their own but they pretty much stay together on the same side. They are great looking fish with a lot of personality. Good Luck

12. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I have 2 male bolivian rams and I once kept them in a 34G and they were quite pushy with each other at times so I put one in the 72G and I added the other one in aswel a couple of weeks after and they get on fine :)

I would advise getting one unless your'e certain you have male and female :)

13. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I tried keeping two GBRs but lost them to sickness. I have two Bolivians in my 55 gallon now. They seem to be easier to care for and have great personalties. :)