Shy DG

1. xshainax Well Known Member Member

My DG Max hides all the time and it annoys me. He only comes out when I feed the fish,when one of my platies comes close to the cave or to breathe. Are they naturally this skittish?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Is max new to the tank? they are usually shy for a bit when added but in time, they get comfy and go all over the place....he must come out often as they need air from the top to live...

3. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I had him for about 4 months

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Of all the anabantoids I've kept, the DGs went to the surface the least.

4 months is long enough. DG's personality varies by the individual. Some are super aggressive and some are very shy, and most are in between. If I'm not mistaken, there's a current thread about someone's DG harassing their platies.

5. gourami88 Member Member

It took my current DG Dezzie just over 6 months to get over his shyness. Now he is a little show off. And if I don't see him all I have to do is give a light tap on the tank (what I do at feeding time) and out he will pop...although I rarely have to go looking for his attention loving little butt anymore. Their personalities vary so greatly it is hard to say how long with will take Max to get over his shyness, or if he ever will fully.

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

What are the parameters of your tank? Maybe something is stressing him out causing him to hide?

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Can we get a pic of the tank? DG preffer a shadowy tank with top cover, atleast 2 diffrent caves and a lot of plants. Drift wood also seems to calm them down aswell.

8. gourami88 Member Member

Typically, the more places you provide them to hide the more time they will spend in the open. It gives them the confidence that, should some hideous creature come along and try to get them, they will have plenty of hiding places to escape to.

9. xshainax Well Known Member Member

10. gourami88 Member Member

More plants may help. Pretty open right now and he may feel exposed.

11. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I will try to get more plants when I go to Petsmart. He likes to chase my female mickey mouse platy lol.

12. gourami88 Member Member

Plants will help calm down his aggression towards your platy as well, plus your platy will have more places to hide.

13. gourami88 Member Member

Oh, backgrounds can really help too!

14. xshainax Well Known Member Member

Is there anything special I need to feed him? He eats algae wafers, fish flakes, broccoli and freeze dried brine shrimp. I want him to be around for a while since he and my mystery snails male my tank

15. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm, well they are very big on meaty foods. The Freeze dried may kill him though :p. Its not healthy and can cause some major issues. Frozen however will be of much help. The biggest issue with that diet is its lack of protein. He really would benifit from a higher protein diet. The Brine shrimp and what ever may be in the flakes isnt much. Frozen Bloodworms/brineshrimp and such should be very good for him and make him more happy. NOTE: Frozen bloodworms are NOT ok to feed as a staple and should be fed as treats, like candy. Brineshrimp are great and most Petsmartcos should have them. Remember No Freeze dried.

Also, its could use some shading. Try Taking a large tupaware lid and floating it on the top to create shade for him, a few more caves would also help. The plants themselves look nice. The tank does look well maintained and is very cute, just not ideal for a D, No offence inteneded.

EDIT: I totaly forgot to mention that Betta Pellets make a good staple for DG so long as its a good brand.

Acceptable brands include: Newlife spectrum(NLS), Omega1, Attisons

Nonacceptable: Topfin, hikari, anything walmart or generic.

Just look at the ingriedients, there should be fish,shrimp meal and a few other meaty foods as the first ingriedients. Anything with soy,corn,wheat,gluten and other grains as the first ingriedients are crud

16. xshainax Well Known Member Member

Non taken, and I will consider buying Omega1 food for them