1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse Osmosis System

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athena22

Athena22 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So my hardness level in my tank is really high and I have no money because I have no job. So I cannot go out and buy a Reverse Osmosis machine like I have read on a post. Its because I fill up my tank with tap water, and my tap water is really hard.

I'm not sure if there is any cheaper options to lowering the hardness level.
    It was around 300. It said on my test strip.
    If you know of any cheaper options to lowering the hardness
    no - 0
    gh- 300
    kh-300
    ph-8.4

I'm not sure if this test stip system if accurate or not, but I do have a 10 gallon freshwater tank and i don't have fish in it at the moment.

2. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Most fish will adapt to harder water. I wouldn't really try to adjust your water, I would maybe just select from fish that do better in harder water. What fish are you keeping or do you want to keep?

For example, I have neon tetras which are supposed to need soft water, but I keep them in very hard water with high PH and they do great.

3. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +44
    With such a small tank you can always buy 5 gallon water containers and fill them up at your local grocery or water store.

4. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I agree with Rivieraneo, it wouldn't be hard to buy your water and find a good ratio of tap and R/O water, maybe start with half and half. I use store bough R/O water for top offs. I purchased this water tote from Seachem recent and it works nicely....

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-water-containers/11442-584800/seachem-seachem-hydrotote-water-jug.html

It works great, collapses if you want to save space when it's empty, and holds 5 gallons.

The machine at my grocery store is well kept, it has a digital display that shows when the machine was serviced last (which is always within a week or so of when I use the machine). Having a well maintained machine is very important otherwise the quality of water will start to diminish over time. My machine has a 5 gallon button which is perfect for my 5 gallon container, and it costs $1.50 to fill.

If you were going to go this route, I would suggest buying 2 water containers and that way you could alternate filling them, when one is empty you bring back to the store and fill when you have time next. This leaves the other container full of water and ready to go when you need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.