plants in sand?

1. mrgoogls Member Member

hey guys! in my tank i plan to have it very heavily planted. im just trying to figure out what substrate to use. i dont want to have to use CO2 things or fertilizers. just lights and whatever is naturally in the tank. will sand be ok? if so what plants meet these conditions. the water will be about 79 degrees.( i know plants dont really fit the substrate forums but i figured y make 2 threads in different forums?)

2. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

You could do ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (but let me tell ya, that stuff is expensive!), with a layer of pool filter sand on top if you want sand.

Plants can live in sand but won't thrive.

3. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

+1 quad

my 29g planted is just sand and i wish i would have put a substrate for plants. My 125g is still cycling and i used miracle grow organic soil with fine gravel over top. check out dustinsfishtanks on youtube that is where i got convinced that dirt is the way to go. He does not use co2 but recommends ferts

hope this helps!

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of lights are you planning? You will want low lighting or the lack of ferts will lead to algae.

Good low light plants include Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Vals and Crytps.

You could use sand, but would want to use root tabs for the vals, crypts and other root feeders. You could also use Eco Complete, but its fert effect would not last indefinitely.

Hope this helps.

5. mrgoogls Member Member

could i use the miracle grow with sand instead of gravle? i have plenty of miracle grow in my garage. my mom uses it to garden and im sure she wouldnt mind if i "stole some":;pirate how much sand/miracle grow should i use? i want it to look nice too. this will be in my living room for all to seeXD also, i dont know what lighting. didnt get tank yet. i dont want high power though. i want lower light so it is cheaper. also the tank is 2ft tall if that matters.

6. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

yes you could use sand over the soil. Use about 1 inch of soil then one inch of sand. Also make sure the soil does not have compost in it i hear that makes quite the mess. And for lighting i would recommend a t5 light. IMO its a good all around light :)

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I have a 125 with sand and I have a very heavily planted tank. I use liquid fertilizer about once a month or every other month and then I also got root tabs that I replace every 6 months or so. They just get shoved in the sand and it helps your plants thrive. The only plants I have issues with in my 125 is banana plants. They grew like crazy in a tank with gravel but they don't do well in a sand tank.

8. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

e watson- really!!? i have three banana plants in with sand and they do better then any of my plants. proves every plant is different

9. mrgoogls Member Member

kool. thanks for all the help so far guys. but i recently read online that if u disturb the miracle grow and it gets released into the water, it will cause a huge algae bloom. i dont want that. what worries me is what about when you stir the sand so the gasses are released? wouldnt that release some of the soil? is the algae bloom thing true?

10. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

when your playing in your tank with soil you just have to turn the light off for a few hours til it all settles :)

11. mrgoogls Member Member

oh kool. but i thought for a little bit, and it seems alot easyer to just use the root tabs near ech plant.... what are the best brands?

12. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

for root tabs i use seachem flourish tabs

13. mrgoogls Member Member

iv heard that API is supposed to be pretty good. they also have them at my LFS

14. dtana117 Initiate Member

70% sand 30% fluorite substrate here. Plants do okay for having no CO2 and very little in the way of supplements. Seachem products every once in a while when I remember to do them.

15. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

When comparing API Root Tabs with Seachem Flourish Root Tabs, I would go with Flourish. Both are good products, but in a side by side comparison, I find Flourish to be better.

:animal0070:Both cost about the same
    :animal0070:API must be dosed monthly where Flourish is dosed quarterly
    :animal0070:I find the Flourish tabs to be more balanced in comparison to API

16. mrgoogls Member Member

ok thanks for that info. it helps that it lasts longer so i wont have to remember as often:D that means less times for me to almost forgetXD

17. bryanmc1988 Initiate Member

just keep in mind with a planted tank is that cleaning the bottom of the tank is goin to be hard... with all the plants in the way.... i say keep it simple and clean... simple clean great looking... i'll upload what i mean later of my tank its awsome... i love that the human mind can come up with just with some simple moss and a driftwood...

18. mrgoogls Member Member

i get what u mean.....im not going crazy with plants...but heavily planted enough to look good, provide cover for fish and evn help with biological filtration because plants us the nirates.