1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Placing Bought Anubias in New Tank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theRqua

theRqua Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Today I bought an Anubias plant from a store. It was kept inside one of those box tanks with about 3 fish, no snails encountered.
    I currently rinsed it inside a small tank, with tap water and added (SERA) toxivec and (SERA) water conditioner. It is currently inside that tank.
    Indicators and suspects: Plant has a different aquarium smell than mine, suspicion of parasites and ich (since I don't know the conditions of the store tank).
    How should I start preparing the plant for my tank? What I did was a good start?
    Should I remove the medium it came with (it also came with some sort of solid red ring, below the plant and the medium, all inside a small plastic net pot for containment)?

I'm thinking of making water changes this weekend, so I thought it would be a good opportunity for adding the new plant, unless waiting may be required.

Thanks for the help!

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +1,391
  3. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +169
    You can plant anubias, you just have to make sure the rhizome (bulky horizontal part where the roots and stems meet) is above the substrate. IMO it's easier and looks better than attaching/gluing it to decor, but that's up to personal preference. :)

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +1,391
    Agreed! I should have clarified.

5. theRqua

theRqua Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thanks for the info.
    Can snails or snail egg be unseen to the naked eye?
    And what about ensuring my Anubias is parasite, ich, and any other disease - clean?

6. Aster

Ratings:
    +169
    I don't know much about snails; I luckily haven't a problem with them, but I know many people do. I think you should be able to see the eggs, but somebody else with experience may want to provide a definite answer.

As for sterilizing the plants, I believe you can use a bleach solution or potassium permanganate. Google it and you should be able to find more detailed instructions.

7. theRqua

theRqua Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing I have in my possession is "thickened chlorine bleach gel", which is lemon-scented and has 30 grams of active chlorine per liter.
    Can I use that as a regular bleach?

8. Aster

Ratings:
    +169
  9. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I would not use bleach on the plant . just rinse it off well. take off the pot, gently take off all the rock wool that is around the roots. Just use a pair of tweezers. untangle the roots. Rinse the roots well and you should be good to go. If there are eggs or baby snails you will see them. Alison

10. theRqua

theRqua Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, but how can I ensure there are no diseases on the plant, if that's even a real thing?
    Honestly, I prefer not to use any substances, since instructions over the internet are subjective, and I have no pure bleach, potassium nor alum...

11. littleredridingmech

littleredridingmech Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't know if there are any fish parasites that this works differently for, but without a host, a parasite will die very quickly. You could leave it inside its temporary tank for a few days and I think you're good. It wouldn't do anything for something bacterial though.

12. aliray

Ratings:
    +31
    I buy anubias from the fish stores and just rinse in tap water. The chlorine and cloramine in your tap water should clean it and won't hurt the plant. Then just take it out of the water and put in the tank. You don't have to put dechlorinator in the water that the plant is in. Alison;)

13. theRqua

theRqua Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I'll rinse it a bit more in water then, then put it in my tank.
    I had to wait with the weekly water change for that.
    I hope everything will be ok, I'll update on what's going on

14. theRqua

theRqua Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update 1:
    I had allot of difficulty burying the Anubias under the gravel. It ended up slightly floating:
    [​IMG]

From overview, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Fish seem to be swimming a bit actively compared to other water changes, where they tend to concentrate above the water filter pump.

Thoughts?

15. aliray

Ratings:
    +31
    Looks fine. to me and it should grow more roots that will also anchor it. Alison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.