New Tank Help

1. offcentre Initiate Member

Hi, I have just acquired a large tank, 60" x 24" x 24". it came with 2 Eheim pro E3 2076 canister filters. It has 2 x hood tubes and 4 heaters.

I am looking to keep Malawi Cichlids and want to know if the 2 Eheim's are adequate for flowrate? Also the canisters still have the original water in and have not been cleaned yet, the tank is currently empty, should i use this water to kick start the cyle or is it too late (been standing for a week)?

I have also ordered a 3D background which will take 2 weeks to be delivered, should i start the cycle then fit it when delivered?

I also would love some advice on what africans can be kept together.

Thanks

Grahame

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Grahame and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm sure you will receive some responses before long!

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Attached Files:

3. daz Member Member

Hi and welcome

If it was me i would get everything set up and running to try save the bacteria.I read somewhere it can live for 2/3 weeks but am not 100% on that .Worth a shot tho.

Congrats on the new tank

4. offcentre Initiate Member

Thanks Ken.

I think I will try that daz, I will let you know how it goes

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Water will not kickstart a cycle. The bacteria that keeps a tank cycled live primarily in your filter media and to a lesser extent on the hard surfaces inside your tank (gravel, plants, orniments etc)

I'm not sure how long bacteria will live without a food source (ammonia & nitrite) before it starves off.

You could start cycling now & add the background later. In fact, it would be good to get that tank filled, and get an ammonia source in there to see if your filters still do contain live bacteria.

6. offcentre Initiate Member

Thanks jdhef, looks like I will be busy this weekend!

7. toosie Well Known Member Member

If you really don't want to fill your tank yet but want to preserve or establish a biological bacterial colony, you can place some fish food inside a media bag (I use the feet from new nylons) and place it inside your filters. Place a large pail, (5G) above the level of your filter units and fill it with water. You can use this as your "tank" until you are ready to setup the large tank.

As was said earlier, the media inside the filter is where your main bacteria colony will establish so the fact you would be running it with an ammonia source, (the media bag of fish food) is all that it will take to ensure your cycle is healthy. You can test the water in the pail for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to make sure the media is fully cycled before you setup the tank, or just to track the cycle right off.

You don't have to use the water in the pail when you do setup the tank, just move your filter over to the tank and remove the food bag once you have fish in the tank producing waste.

8. offcentre Initiate Member

Great idea toosie, thanks

9. toosie Well Known Member Member

You're welcome. Have fun designing your new tank. :happy0034: