1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

My puffer fish has stopped eating

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puffergeek

puffergeek Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have one figure eight puffer fish in a slightly brackish tank along with 2 Otto's and 2 Siamese algae eaters. A few days ago my puffer stoped swimming around but then a few days later he started again, but now he has stopped eating. I've been feeding him freeze dried krill. When he stopped eating I tried to feed him some peas in case it was indigestion but he won't eat them. Then I tried feeding him frozen shrimp but that didn't work either. He appears to be fine other than that, his fins are a little torn, but thats it. Also he recently started swimming in a weird way, with his body almost vertical. Instead of him swimming Parallel to the ground like he used to he now swims at a 70 degree or so angle to the ground. My water parameters are fine. Should I start putting anti-bacterial medicine in the tank?

2. iloveengl

iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +51
    I'm sorry your puffer is not feeling well; I don't know much about them to be of any help. :-\

I don't mean to load you up on bad news, but I don't want your other fish to start feeling badly either... so I wanted to just mention that Otocinclus and Siamese algae eaters should only be kept in freshwater with no additional salt. They are not going to survive long in brackish waters.

I hope your puffer pulls through. :console:

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Hi Puffergeek, I'm sorry your puff isn't doing well.
    If you could fill in your aquarium info, it wouyld be helpful to the other members.
    It's found under My Settings at the top left.
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.