1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Help: My betta's tank is cycling, now he has fin rot?!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brittney

Brittney Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Info:
    - 5 gallon tank
    - heated
    -filtered
    - gravel gets siphoned with every water change
    - there is a nerite snail in the tank too

I never properly cycled my tank before getting my betta, and last Thursday my ammonia went up to .50 ppm out of no where and I've had the tank for at least 3 months. Doing other research, I've come to the conclusion that my tank naturally started cycling because I can't get the ammonia below .25 ppm, and I've been doing daily 20% - 50% water changes.

Well as you know, when there is ammonia in the tank, it usually hurts your betta. Well my betta's fin's are splitting apart. Like, they have little splits in them, as if you cut a little bit into a piece of paper, and there is now a split/cut? (is what it looks like) and one of his ventral fins are missing a chunk of itself. I think this is fin rot but I'm not exactly sure.

Anyways, I did another 20% wc today, and I'm now using Stress Coat+ to help reduce stress and as a water conditioner for my betta fish now. And then I put in a tbsp of aquarium salt into the new water, (1 gallon of water) and let it dissolve. Then, since I know bettas can react badly to having so much salt put in there tank at once, I only put 25% of the salted water in once an hour, so the full gallon of water wasn't actually all in the tank until 4 hours later.

After doing all that I just put 2.5 ml of Aqueon Ammonia Neutralizer in the tank, it won't mess with the cycle, it just makes the ammonia less toxie, but doesn't actually remove it from the tank.

But I'm going on vacation for 4 days, and I'm leaving Thusrday morning, and not coming back till Sunday afternoon.

So in general how can I keep my fish healthy while I'm gone? and when I get back, what should I do to make his fins become better? I don't have a QT tank so I can't do anything with qting him.. sorry.

*It wont let me upload an image, else i would.. sorry again.
    Thanks! And happy early 4th of July:party0011::;betta2

2. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Do a large water change before you leave and the water quality will be just fine for 4 days, especially since you won't be there to feed him (which is fine).

Make sure there are no plastic plants or other decor items that could tear fragile betta fins. What you are describing sounds more like this kind of damage than fin rot, but without a photo I can't say much. With fin rot you actually see discoloration around the damage in most cases and looks more like fraying than tears.

I would suggest treating the tank with Maracyn Plus or similar, but you would have to remove the snail for the duration. Salt is also effective, but would also be bad for the snail.

And then keep supplying clean water with frequent water changes.

3. Brittney

Brittney Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I have some plastic things in there, both got great reviews online and nobody said that they ever harmed theif betta fish, so I'll just continue with the salt and water changes. Now what do you mean by large water change? As in like a 50% change?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, about 50% WC.

Try running pantyhose over any decor in the tank, if it can snag the pantyhose it can do the same to your betta's fins. It only tanks one little irregularity in the plastic to do damage. There are a lot of decor designed specifically for bettas that I have to file off a rough spot.

5. Brittney

Brittney Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have any pantyhose/stockings, is there any other way I could test the plastic decor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.