1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

More Loaches?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manatee

manatee Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am wondering how many loaches I should have in my tank. I would like to add 2 zebra loaches? My bottom fish are 3 clowns, 3 yoyos, 2 cory's, 1 bristlenose plec. I would also like to get 2 polkadot loaches? Am I pushing it or will all these guys live happily togother? 75 gal 48"l lots of wood and java plants.

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +143
    Before you add anything new, you should beef up the schools you have.

You should add at least 3 more corys (same species).

Any loach should be kept in groups of at least 3, but more is better. One of the exceptions is kuhli loaches which need at least 5, but more makes them deliriously happy.

If I had your tank, I'd up my schools of each existing loach to 5. That would really make the tank pop!

3. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree I'd work on upping your schools before adding different fish.

4. manatee

manatee Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I have a problem with what type of fish to keep and am trying to see what is going to do well in my"well" water. I think I will get 2 more yoyos and forget about the zebras for now. My clowns are getting pretty big fast so I don't think I will add any more of those? Any feedback on overstocking would be appreciated.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +215
    overfiltering is important when you overstock, so I would upgrade the XP1 to a 3.

6. manatee

manatee Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been getting away with cleaning my filters often, switching as I go. If I did get the xp3 would I need to clean them so often?

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Id have to agree, up the schools, the yoyos may be ok with just 4 or so. The cory should be 6-8 in that tank, of the same species. As far as clowns go, i dont think you will do well to have full grown clowns in that tank with that stock, they may just take up too much space imo.

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +36
    The only thing I would say about upping the schools is that the Clows will eventually outgrow that tank. The rest seem ok thou and would most likely appreciate the company.

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +79
    The footprint of the 75g is fine for the loaches and corys you have at this time. I personally wouldn't add anymore. The ones you have will be growing and out growing the space they have pretty fast.
    Carol

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +215
    in my experience, the larger the filtration system, the less you have to clean it. Although cleaning the filter doesn't increase it's capacity to house beneficial bacteria. Only adding more media can do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.