1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Intro!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charliedxb

Charliedxb Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just joined FL and am really happy to be a part of such an extensive forum. Having just started my second tank, after about a 10 year break, I really thought it would be good to join the forum to be able to discuss all things aqua! I live in the Middle East and local pet shops are a bit frustrating to deal with as the guys can be a bit vague when you need help or advice! Also, finding decent products is a bit of a nightmare! Plants are incredibly hard to find a lot of the time as there seems to be a great deal of red tape when it comes to importing them so I am lucky to have snapped up a fair few and have populated my tank quite well! Fish on the other hand are easy to come by and very cheap when compared with Europe and the US. Unfortunately the conditions that they are kept in range from mediocre/poor to awful so I am very wary about where I get mine from. Fortunately I live close to one of the good ones, but I am still struggling when I need advice!

I currently have a 120litre freshwater community tank up and running (2 months), and fortunately I still remembered the advice from my old LFS in the UK so fully cycled the tank and planted before very gradually adding more hardy fish (leopard danios) and building up to the slightly more sensitive glass catfish. All fish seem nicely settled now apart from one of my little balloon tetra who literally 'ballooned' overnight, with what I diagnosed as dropsy after doing a load of research. It looked so bad and was on its last legs so I put it out of its misery. Also, one of my glass catfish seems to have damaged its top lip/nose. It looks like a chunk is missing and I have been keeping an eye on it and it doesn't seem to be getting worse, nor is it getting better!?He is still perfectly clear and both barbles are still intact and he is eating and swimming fine so I can't figure it out. I have seen no bullying from any of its tank mates so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

All water tests come back with 0 mg/l and I do regular weekly water changes of 20-25%, which is treated with Waterlife 'Bacterlife' and Jungle ' Insto Chlor'. Temp is a steady 25oC.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Welcome Charliedxb!!!!! This is the place to be!!

Sorry I can't help you, but there will surely be some help coming!!

3. Charliedxb

Charliedxb Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome!

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Welcome to FL! :)

5. patrickdives89

patrickdives89 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Welcome! Congrats on the tank being cycled.

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +443
    Welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm really sorry for your lost fish.
    Is there anything sharp your glass cat fish could have hurt himself on?
    If you can post a pic, maybe others can help ID what's going on.
    What kind of test are you using? If all your tests including nitrate are at 0, your tank is not cycled unless you have a heavily planted tank.

Good luck!

7. Nate McFin

Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Welcome to Fishlore! You will love it here.
    You should have Nitrate reading as Lucy mentioned unless very very heavily planted.
    I have not hear of Bacterlife but if your tank is cycled you shouldnt need to add that type of product. Save your money! :D

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Welcome to Fishlore!

9. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +72
    welcome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.