How to feed RTS? Question

1. f1ea Member Member

Hi all,

I have a large tank with mostly voracious top feeders (Angels, Black skirt and Serpae tetras). Normally i feed them flakes and cichlid pellets, also sinking pellets with spirulina and sometimes dried krill. However, most rarely hit the bottom uneaten...

Anybody has a good way or technique for feeding a Red tail shark (not rainbow)?

Dont want to drop too much sinking pellets and have it rot... or too little that the RTS wont find any. Better to drop them at the night feeding and have it eat algae during the day? or maybe feed some succhini / other vegetables?

Thanks in advance!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello f1ea. I have a Rainbow Shark (similar to the Red Tail Shark RTS) and I've had RTS in the past. It's been my experience that the shark will forage around over the entire tank at feeding time, and not just eat from the bottom (once he's comfortable in his home) and never had the need to spot feed or take any special care to make sure that he ate.

In my tank it's also rare that food makes it to the bottom. My Cory Cats have also learned to swim all over the tank for food, top, bottom, middle. Your fish should learn when it's feeding time and where to go for food. I don't think I would worry too much right now. If he looks healthy and not losing any weight then he's probably fine and eating when you don't see it.
    Keep us posted.
    Ken

3. f1ea Member Member

Thanks!
    i just added him (her?) yesterday. So far it's been grazing hair algae from the glass and equipment and behaving fine; looks like she will be clever (hungry) enough to find food during feeding or at night.

Its a Red Tail Shark with a white tip on the dorsal..... looks very sharky :)
    So far no aggression at all.

Regards

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

She sounds pretty. :) Let us know if you get any pics of her once she's settled in. :)

5. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

I have a black shark and he feeds from the top with the barbs,krib, angel and prochulodus, but he also feeds the algae from the plants. He was about an inch and a half when i got him in september, he is now nearly 7", my point being there will always be food for it. Good luck
    Nick

6. James Wisener Initiate Member

I have a red tail black shark in my 20 gallon , for a bit he didnt eat but then i discovered he doesnt like to eat when im about , i use catfish pellets and they work a treat

Regards.