Help!

1. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I am stumped.

I added more water to my 125g, I had it sitting at 80g incase I had to do water changes while it settled. After a month of no spikes and everything seeming calm I decided to add water to the tank to bring it up to 125g. I used dechlorinator and nothing else.

Readings are now ammonia 0 Nitrite 1 and nitrate under 5.

I dont understand where the nitrite has come from all I did was add water to the tank and I dechlorinated the water before I added it to the tank.

I have been doing frantic water changes as the fish have all been at the top of the water.

What did I do wrong and how can I fix it.

2. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Sorry for back to back post but I really need some advice :( water changes arent helping, I have done two 40% changes today and the fish are still at the top of the tank, even my syno and clown loaches I cant bear to lose these fish and I really cant see what I have done wrong.

I am begging you :(.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry you're having problems. Are you doing gravel vacs along with your weekly water changes?
    Have you tested your tap water?

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Oh no! i agree check your tap water... some people have ammonia in their tap so there's always a chance you could have nitrites...

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

tap water has 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite its the first thing I checked.

I also do vacuum my sand but I do about a quarter per vacuum so I dont upset too much bacteria.

This problem has only come up since I filled the tank to the top and I dont understand why. There is 1 thing I can think of but I really have no idea if it would affect the water or not but we have had alot of rain and some flooding recently.

6. Elvishswimmer Member Member

If you get some prime and use enough to treat the whole tank, it could help detox the nitrite.... I'm not sure if you can get prime on the UK though.

I don't know if flooding would affect it, unless you notice the water quality of your tap water right now different than normal.

Have you checked, maybe its a pH difference?

7. Shadowbeam Member Member

I wasn't sure if you could get prime in the UK either, but I have found some ebing sold in shops (after ordering a load online :p) and I'd recommend it, really helped when I had an Ammonia explosion!

8. Diggly Well Known Member Member

You can get prime on ebay.

I still have a trace of nitrite but the fish are no longer at the top and I am happy to say I have had 0 losses so far :). There might be a light at the end of this tunnel after all.

Ph from my tap and the tank match so I dont think its that.