Help! Is my gourami sick?

1. samamamajama Member Member

Two days ago i purchased 3 golden gourami from an aquarium store (1 male 2 female). The male is about 5inches and he wont feed. He is staying at the bottom of the tank under the planted area of my tank but will sometimes come up for a breath. One of the females is sticking with him too and is also missing the food i put in the tank. Is there something wrong with the fish or am i being paranoid?

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you please post your water parameters and the details of your setup?

3. samamamajama Member Member

The parameters are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate, temp is 27 degrees celsius (I believe thats around 80 fahrenheit).

My setup is a 4ft long 200L tank with a sand substrate. Its heavily planted on the left side and has driftwood and rocks through it which WERE properly cured and cleaned before putting in. The gourami share a tank with a 2" rainbow shark, 2 1.5" angel fish, 4 2" clown loaches and a school of 8 2" black widow tetra.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've no experience with gouramis but I've had Bettas go as long as a week without eating after I've brought them home so maybe they just need more time to settle in?

5. samamamajama Member Member

That might be the case, the other two gourami have settled in well though. I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I hope that's all it is! If it continues though then hopefully someone with more gourami experience will be online later with better advice:)