Help Feeding Bristlenose

1. Nicoldeme Member Member

I have a ten gallon with two female platys, twelve fry, a betta, and a 2.5" bristlenose pleco. I can't figure out how to get food to him without my voracious little platys eating it first! I've tried hiding it, but the fry always find it, separating him, but that just puts him under stress and it's really difficult to catch him, and just plain giving him vegetables when I can. He's been living off the occasional vegetable every once and a while, but I'm worried he's not getting enough nutrients. He only gets something, like a slice of cucumber or squash, every week or two. He has driftwood, but he doesn't really feed off that, does he? It's only ten gallons, planted but not a lot of light, so there can't be enough algae to sustain him??? Should I just continue what I'm doing? I have algae wafers, but as explained before, can't get them to him. Help???

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum and glad you're here. I wrote a post on feeding the on page 3 of the thread Titled PLECOS!! Share Yours. The thread is about halfway down the page. Please give it a read. besides the wafers they need fruit or veggie available 24/7. There are a lot of ideas and hints. Feel free to ask me any questions that you have. They are my favorite of all my fish. Alison;)

3. Nicoldeme Member Member

Holy meatloaf, that is a HUGE variety. Your plecos are sure living the life :D. I plan on rehoming this fish very soon. When I can sell my platy fry, I'll put up an add for him as well. When I put a wafer in for him, my platys find it and stuff themselves to where I think they may be harming themselves from eating so much. If i can convince my parents to let me chop up zucchini and cucumber daily, will that be alright until I can let him go? Or should I just get an add up now (The platys still have at least a month before I can sell them) and sell him individually?
    Also, when I sell (Really I'm just giving them away) my fish, I'm asking for tank parameters, size, tankmates, etc. so I can tell who is capable of taking care of these fish, will this throw people off?

4. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

No I think it is a good idea. A bristle nose pleco male will get 6 inches and a female 5 inches . They should have a minimum of a 20 gallon tank . You could also just buy a pkg of frozen veggies like a combo of zucchini squash and summer squash. just take a slice out and unthaw one each day . stick a fork in it and lay it on the bottom of the tank. the next day take that one out replace with a fresh piece until you can rehome him. Alison

5. Nicoldeme Member Member

Thanks!!! I took a big end piece of cucumber and tied it to a suction cup, then shoved half a wafer in it. He's really enjoying it, and the platys haven't noticed it all! Also, if I can keep him in a 20, then maybe I won't have to rehome him? I'm planning to upgrade by December, will this be too long?
    He was a surprise from my father back in September, (My Dad is still under the impression fish only grow as large as a tank will allow, no matter what I say) so I couldn't rehome him immediately like I wanted too. At first, I refused to even name him or pay much attention to him, because I knew I'd have to let him go. But he's just too adorable. I've named him St. Jimmy :)
    One other thing (I've never gotten to ask questions before, so I'm loaded x3) he seems a bit aggressive? Sometimes if my platys are just scavenging the gravel, he'll shoot out from underneath his log, spines flared, and scare the living daylights out of my other fish. I haven't noticed any wounds, do you think he's just having fun?

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

He is just keeping them away from his territory and food. They don't as a rule injure other healthy fish of other species. You will have to keep up with water changes and get the 20 as soon as you can .I have done it and mine are now in a 20 and 30 gallon tank. How is he doing? It's not a good idea but since you have him I understand how you feel. They are my favorite of all my fish. Alison

7. Nicoldeme Member Member

Unfortunately, I won't be getting the 20 anytime soon, so I'm just going to try and give him away with my platy fry. I have an uncle with a 55, but it is completely barren, the fish are sick, and he rarely does water changes :( He has a normal plecostomus in there, but he rarely feeds it and it only has one hiding spot. My dad's trying to convince to give my pleco to him; No way!
    Thanks for your help, Alison!