1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

guppy diagnosis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guppy247

guppy247 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure whether my guppy is sick or not-he has some strange symptoms. Today I noticed some white growths only on the very tips of his fins and tail. At first I thought his tail was getting bigger, just by normal growth, but this is happening too quickly. Every few hours I can noticeably see more growth.

He has not been interested in eating today. He swims with his tail pointed downward some of the time. He slowly moves around or is motionless just below the surface.

His odd behavior might be due to the loss of my other guppy, who died just yesterday. My remaining guppy has never been alone before and I don't think he knows how to act without any other fish around.

My other guppy died suddenly and without any indication that he was sick. He was also a pretty old guppy. Fine one night, and gone the next morning. I don't think he necessarily gave any sickness to my remaining guppy.

Could he have ICH? I can't figure what else it could be. Although, comparing his symptoms to the description of ich- he has white growths on the very edges of his fins, not "white spots". What could he have? And what does he need? Ideas and suggestions from anyone would be really appreciated. Thanks!

2. ZiggyZ

ZiggyZ Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What are your tanks parameters? How often do you clean the tank? Did you cycle your tank?

From the looks of it in your Aquarium Info, you have them in 1.5 gallon tank. Guppies do not belong in a 1.5 gallon, they need at least a 10 gallon to live happily. I would recommend you you get a bigger tank if you are planning to keep more. Now, from what you said, the "white growths" could possibly be a fungal infection, but a picture would be more helpful.

3. bowcrazy

bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Sounds like it sure could be ICH. The safest treatment for ich is to raise the temperature slowly to 86 degrees and leave it there for two weeks. The Ich will start dieing off as soon as the temperature gets around 86 degrees but you need to leave it there even after it looks like it has gone away. It takes two weeks to completely kill it off. -- no meds needed and water changes are suggested every couple of days with 86 degree water.

It could also be fin rot but without seeing pictures it would be hard to tell. If it is fin rot you need to get some meds to treat it the best.

4. guppy247

guppy247 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok well I am pretty baffled now, because the white growths have almost completely cleared up on their own. And his behavior seems to be getting better too. He ate again tonight and is moving around more. I guess I'll just keep watching him for now. Maybe he doesn't need anything.....maybe

5. markah1

markah1 Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I seriously think that a guppy does not deserve to be in a 1.5 gallon. No fish does.

6. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +143
    + 1

Although we are happy that he seems to be doing better, you haven't addressed a) is the tank cycled, b) the fact that the tank is WAY too small for this species, etc. We can only help you if you help us.

7. guppy247

guppy247 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The tank is cycling beautifully now, the water is crystal clear and the chemical levels are good. Both fish are in good health now too.

I know my tank is too small for guppies. I have a 10 gal I can put them in after it's repaired and I can get some appropriate-sized equipment for it someday.

I need to change the filter cartridge, it's been five weeks, but I'm afraid that will mess up the nitrogen cycle because it will remove the good bacteria that's in my filter/bubbler now. What can I do to keep good bacteria in there as I change it? Any thoughts? Thanks :)

8. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +143
    You should not change out filter media until it's absolutely falling apart. Just rinse it off in used tank water.

You especially do not want to change out filter media while you are cycling.

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Do you have a test kit? I tried to cycle a tank without one, and I can tell you it's pretty much impossible. After having purchased one (the API master test kit, which uses liquids, is much more accurate than the strip tests), it's much easier to tell when you start to get nitrites and nitrates, and when the ammonia goes away. Unfortunately, you cannot base your tank's status in cycling purely on the clarity of the water.

10. guppy247

guppy247 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I use a liquid test kit for ammonia and a strip test kit for everything else. I know for sure the tank is cycling as it should be now, finally! It was off for about a month and it took a lot of water changes and patience to get it right.

I'll just wait maybe another week or two to see if the filter media is still functioning and then change it.

11. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    can't you change the media while keeping the bio hold because the bacteria live in the biohold not the media? That's what it said in my filter instruction guide (aqueon 55/75) do not throw away bio hold because it contains benificial bacteria but I can throw away the small packet inside, the media...

12. toosie

toosie Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Bio holsters do hold beneficial bacteria, but so does the other media, so if you throw it out, you throw out a portion of the beneficial bacteria. If filter media isn't falling apart rinse it, don't change it. The only ones that benefit by you changing the filter media is the store and the manufacture. Your wallet is a little lighter but over the years I have come to the conclusion that my wallet doesn't like to be a little lighter. When it is time to change out the filter media because it IS falling apart, cut off as much of the old media as you can and use it with the new filter media, that way you don't lose any beneficial bacteria. You can remove the old media after a couple of weeks because the new media will be working well.

13. bowcrazy

bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I second toosie’s comments. I never change filter media until it is literally falling apart. The beneficial bacteria live in the filter, on the substrate and plants, and just about every where else in the tank but the majority of it lives in the filter. Changing out the media is not necessary and can be quite costly when you have a set up like mine.

If I feel the need to change the carbon in a filter I just cut a slit in the top of the media and dump out the old and replace it with new or add a sock of carbon to the filter. That allows me to rinse media off in used tank water which in turn is used to water house plants and garden plants. Like the old saying goes: waste not, want not…..

14. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, thanks for the advice. Actually I think I have another advantage for changing media that I will probably use. My filter aqueon 55/75 uses two seperate media packets, so I can change one and after 2-4 weeks change the other that way it still has one working:). Thanks for the advice so I will wait more if I want to change.

15. Lradke

Lradke Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good to know! I noticed that the chemicals changed after the filter cartridge was changed and that would explain it!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

16. toosie

toosie Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Bowcrazy is right about replacing the carbon, and that should be done every 3 or 4 weeks. Use the technique he mentioned to remove and replace it, or choose not to use it except to remove medications after treatments, to remove discoloration of the water caused by driftwood, peat or other things that tend to color the water, or if your water has an unpleasant odor that good tank maintenance doesn't take care of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.