1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Gravel Vacuum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghardin

ghardin Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I have two glofish in a 5 gallon tank that was set up about 5 days ago. I did a partial water change today and saw that a lot of crud came up from the gravel. I had heard of a gravel vacuum but im only 5 days into the cycle so should i wait until the cycle is over to vacuum? I dont have any levels because im getting a test kit tonight, but once i do, i will post them. Thank you!

-grace :;hi1

2. fishy friend2

fishy friend2 Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I believe. Are talking about glo fish, not goldfish mate, so just change the wate when ammonia rises above 0 ppm, as anything higher is potentially harmful, or even deadly

3. kimoore

kimoore Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i would wait to vacuum. you need the media to build since you didnt do a fishless cycle first and introduce your goldfish into an established tank. However, you know about the nitrogen cycle, (on your Info, im not some weird stalker, lol!) So you should be good there. Just keep an eye on your levels. You will probably see a spike in your ammonia levels, then you should slowly see them come down, then your nitrites should start to level off. They make a product called, Tetra Safe Start, TSS, that I have been told is supposed to be the best at getting your tank cycled quickly when you havent cycled it prior to adding fish. I would recommend getting a bottle. Good luck with your fishies! Post pics, i would like to see your green goldfish.

4. Lexi03

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Welcome to Fishlore!

To answer your question, when cycling with fish, it is ok to gravel vac, since you need to keep the water as clean as posible for your fish to protect them. When cycling with fish it will be important to do daily water changes for the same reason. If you can get ahold of a water conditioner like Seachem Prime, which will detox lower levels of ammonia and nitrite for 24hrs while leaving it available to the bacteria that cycles your tank, it would go a long way in helping your fish survive the cycling process.

On a side note I highly incourage you to rethink the glofish. Glofish are a schooling fish and need to be kept in schools of at least 6. They are also exremely active by nature. Thy really need at least a 20gal tank to have swimming space. Also if you could return them, you could do a fishless cycle and save yourself a lot of headaches( no daily waterchanges) and you could research more suitable fish for your tank while the tank is cycling.

5. ghardin

ghardin Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys!

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from More Freshwater Aquarium Topics to Cleaning and Maintenance section of the forum.

Good info above!

Ken

7. PlecoLoco55

PlecoLoco55 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    SafeStart added at same time fish are first introduced will result in a dramatically reduced cycle time. Its like creating an instantly cycled tank. It has the actual bacteria responsible for converting harmful ammonia compounds into nitrate that is harmless. It really works.

8. Paintcraze

Paintcraze Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    If the tank has only been set up for 5 days and there is tons of crud in the gravel already you are probably feeding way too much. Two glofish would need very little food.

9. PlecoLoco55

PlecoLoco55 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lexi03,

"fishless cycle", sounds interesting. What is that?

10. Lexi03

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +42
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.