Grape Vine wood for fish tanks?

1. LockedBox Member Member

Hey guys, I've been looking to get some driftwood for my fish tank and it has proven difficult thus far. Everything is either too big or as expensive as *expletive*. However I have found one shop that is selling hunks of grape vine advertised for aquarium use. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this stuff? I'd obviously boil it and soak it for a while, but I'm not sure about its chemical compatibility.

Unfortunately I didn't have a good look at the lable because my dad was ushering me out the door. It looked like the trunk, or stem part of the vine was stripped of it's bark and some have longer woody branches still attached.

Any information you guys have about this would be appreciated. I know it's tempting to burst into song about what you have heard, but please don't. Thankyou.

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I've never seen grapevine used as driftwood. Is it actually grapevine with the bark still on it? I wonder how well it would work since grapevine is very light and its also a softer wood.

3. LockedBox Member Member

Well the lable did say grape vine, but unfortunately I couldn't read it properly. I can have another look on Sunday or next Thursday.

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I know many who use grapevine in their aquariums. Just make sure it has been properly cured and that the vines were not treated with pesticides.

5. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Most of the vine sold has been sandblasted to remove the bark.
    I have used it here for years with no issue.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I know a few that also have grapevine wood in their tanks and it was even a home grown variety. All tanks seem to be doing well.