1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Goldfish with severe fin rot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoralGirl

CoralGirl Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My goldfish, Lola, has developed severe fin rot in one week :( . I just got back from a week's vacation during which time the person staying at my house fed my (one) goldfish. Although I had explained how little food was needed I don't think they fully understood, and also thought the amount meant food actually eaten and did not count food falling to the bottom of the tank.
    We got home in the wee hours this morning to find the fin rot pretty advanced and Lola on the floor of the tank. I have done two 50% water changes since then. The water parameters were not bad before we changed it last night: kh5, ph8.2 (usually 8), ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 30ppm (usually around 5ppm). My fish has always seemed particularly sensitive to nitrate, getting droopy when almost any registers.
    This morning nitrates were at 5ppm, not sure whether from the prime or water change. The WC last night picked up a lot of debris, which is how I knew how much food had been added. I could only clean half the gravel last night because my siphon is strong and I didn't want to take out more than half the water. This morning I siphoned half again and picked up another mess.
    During each of those water changes I added the "emergency" dose of prime (4-5x needed) hoping to bring the nitrates down.
    Now her fins are almost completely gone. She is still respirating though, and I hate to give up on her.
    I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT MEDICATION BUT THE ADVICE IS SO CONTRADICTORY that I am confused to say the least. I'm ready to run out the the fish shop and also have the appropriate amount of aquarium salt dissolved, but not yet added as I'm still uncertain about my course of action.
    Last note: I run two filters and cleaned the larger one which was pretty gooky. I just rinse the media and parts in tank water, it all takes a second.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks as always,
    Coral:confused:

2. CoralGirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Added dissolved aquarium salt since it seemed the least toxic...?:;scuba

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +141
    aww poor baby....ive not heard of fin rot working so fast with just a 30ppm of nitrates....some people keep their tanks at that level....could it be something eating his fins? parasite or something? prestine water changes with some stress coat and added fresh garlic to his food will help heal him...but agian, as fast as it was and now no fins, I think something else is going on :(

4. CoralGirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much. It is odd, although it seems that over feeding can cause it too, but even then it was so fast.
    I have some Melafix (basically tea tree oil) and will try some of that. Some say that it doesn't work because its not classified as an antibiotic, but I've been using on my whole (human) family for years for both fungal and bacterial external infections. It's always worked fantastically, so we'll see.
    I wouldn't put so much in the water over just a couple of days, but I think she is on her way, so its worth a try.
    Thanks again,
    Coral

5. yukoandk

yukoandk Member Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Swabbing the infected areas of fins with hydrogen proxide and applying antiseptic ointment like Neosporin will help. But it sounds like you have a fast-spreading bacterial outbreak on your hand—If you’re not seeing improvements with Melafix, I’d consider treating the tank with strong antibiotics combined with antibacterial food, quickly. Keep up with your water changes!

6. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Im sorry to hear your fishy friend is ill. How is he doing?

Just getting the substrate cleaned up and clean water dose wonders for fin rot. But if it's severe then antibiotics are in order.

I hope he is ok.

7. navita01

navita01 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my gold fish got fin rot also, i use methyline and its disappearing now. i use it every other day at night and change 10 - 25% of water before using it.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Me neither. 30 is not very high - I'm quite certain my nitrate levels are well above that.

9. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I second that: My nitrate levels have gotten much higher then that in the tank I keep my pond fish in during the winter.

Hope you get Lola's fin rot under control

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.