German Blue Ram sudden Death

1. SilverAvia Initiate Member

Two and a half weeks ago I introduced two German Blue Rams into my tank from my LFS. Our water had the same hardness and I have never had any problems from that place except for one guppy who developed a swim bladder issue two months after purchase and pasted away (she was pregnant too so i think it complicated the delivery, she was huge but didn't have dropsy). Things were going well until last week when one of my Cory Catfish started to look a little rough, white as snow with some red scratch marks on this side, within 24 hrs he pasted away. I did a 30% water change and checked my levels. Amm:0, Nitrite:0 Nitrate: just a small perception before after zero no where near 10. PH:8.2 (i know it's high but it's the same as the LFS) Last night my more colorful of the two GBR was near his cave very close to the bottom breathing heavily. This morning he was dead. I cleaned the tank, disposed of his body and checked my levels again. Same as last week. i did treat the tank with aquarium salt after the cleaning today. I don't know if the two deaths were connected or i just had a sick fish.

Stock list:
    15 guppies
    1 otto
    4 Cory Catfish
    1 German Blue Ram

2. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

don't use salt...its bad for the cories. but I never had luck with gbrs. they are a weak fish. try bolivians instead

-j