First Salt tank help + stocking sort of

1. SmokedNeptune Initiate Member

Howdy friends, I've been in the hobby for a few shirt years keeping freshwater fish. I recently have been considering dabbling in saltwater tanks. I came across a really good deal for an entire setup. I'm just wondering on some basic things. It's a 100gal acrylic tank

I've seen a lot of things about large gross parasitic worms living in the sand and stuff. How common is that? Would a barebottom prevent that?

What are some colorful hardy easy to care for fish? I really like wrasses, blennies, and triggerfish. But I want a pleasant safe community tank. I'd also would like things from around the Philippines.

Any tips anyone might have

Also what exactly does a chiller do? I mean I get that it chills but what for?

I had saltwater tanks when I was really little and it was my job to take care of it and we had it for around 5 years before we moved but I don't remember a lot from it. I should mention I have absolutely no intention in having corals. I don't plan on keeping any venomous fish either.

Thanks so much for any responses -Liz

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Tidal Initiate Member

From what in understand, as long as you clean your live rock, then that shouldn't be a problem. I assume that a bare bottom would prevent it, but you should be cleaning your sand as well.

Can't help with fish :(

With some of the lighting required for keeping corals, the lighting fixtures produce a lot of heat. If you choose to run some types of lights, a chiller will be needed to cool the water down again.

I might can help with any other questions you have!