1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Filter intake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jglove276

jglove276 Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    how far should the filter intake tube be from the bottom of the tank?

2. ssanubisss

ssanubisss Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert or anything but i dont think it really matters.... that being said I like mine 2-3 inches from the bottom. I feel it helps produce better circulation but thats just my opinion. I'm sure ppl that know more than I do will be around to give you some opinions soon. :)

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello JGlove. I've had aquariums for many years and I've had my intake tubes all over the tank. Top, middle and bottom. I haven't found that one position is any better than the other. I'm sure where ever you decide to place it, it will do fine.
    Ken

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +215
    I agree it doesn't really matter with gravel tanks. However, with sand tanks, I've found it best to have it near the bottom and in the corner - more waste is picked up this way. Too close and it can suck up sand as fish swim by.

5. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Agreed with all the above. :D

6. DRock914

DRock914 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing I could think of why you would want a specific location is for when you do WCs. If you are keeping the filter on during WCs then I would recommend putting the intake a little below halfway up your tank. You want to avoid the filter being on and not being able to suck up any water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.