1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

feeding my oscar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guppykid101

Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +113
    My pleco decided to murder my gouramis and angels so I got a fish that'll take away his authority, I bought a tiger Oscar from my LFS, when I got him I bought 10 feeder guppies too, after we ran out of guppies (2 days lol) I got some Topfin medium cichlid pellets...any Oscar owners with advise as to how many I should put in? (I feed two times daily and the Oscar is about 4-5 inches)

2. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Well, first I think it's important to determine why the pleco did that. What kid of pleco and what size tank? What is his diet? That's out of the norm for any pleco, unless it's a extremely stressed or starving pleco. In my opinion, it's more important to determine the cause than to punish the pleco.

3. Guppykid101

Ratings:
    +113
    We found the pleco sucking on the side of all 6 angels that died as well as the gouramis, and we watched him bully our panda cories before they also myseriously died we feed him an algae wafer Monday Wednesday and Friday and he's about 4 inches so he isn't starving, its a common pleco, and as far as 'punishing' the pleco, the Oscar doesn't bully him at all, they get along nicely

4. Adam55

Ratings:
    +16
    60 is a little small for a common. Does he get veggies and wafers or is he left to just eat algae? There has to be a reason why he did that. And do you know for certain that he killed the fish or was he eating a dead fish?

5. claireputput

claireputput Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I also give my Oscar fresh/frozen uncooked fish a couple of times a week. It is usually left over salmon that is NOT smoked. As far as feeding him, they have a really big appetite and require extra food-compared to other fish.
    If I read this correctly Adam55, I think he is saying that due to the slime coat being sucked off, the fish died. If that is the case, that is what a pleco will do. I do think a little more food would be good for a growing pleco but that is just my opinion.
    Enjoy your Oscar and keep an eye on the size of that pleco-he may outgrow your tank.

6. Adam55

Ratings:
    +16
    Correct. They can do that to live fish (usually to live fish that are sick and weak). I am going to stop short of saying they will do that. And I've never seen it happen to that many fish. Six angels plus however many gouramis? And he mentioned that the pleco was doing it on the sides of all the fish that died, which made me wonder if they were already dead for some other reason, but the first line in the OP is about the pleco murdering other fish. My experience is that the only pleco that will target slime coating is a starving pleco.

7. Guppykid101

Ratings:
    +113
    No one saw him sucking on a LIVE fish , but he did stress out any fish we put in to death (first 4 panda cories , the 2 gouramis, then 6 gouramis) sometime in about a year or two im hoping to go up to a 125 and get a managuense cichlid with the Oscar and pleco, so tank size isn't a worry

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Common Plecos can reach up to 24" and really are not suitable for the home aquarium. Even in my 265g tank, a full grown adult Pleco would have little to no room to turn around. I hope you consider another type of Pleco such as a Sail Fin (12" as an adult) if you want a larger variety. Bristle Nose Plecos top out at 4" to 6" as adults. There is a large variety out there that would be much more suitable for your aquarium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Tpu63fMWA

Feed your fish sparingly. One time per day will suffice. As long as everyone gets a bite or 2 or 3 is all that is really needed. Over feeding your fish can lead to increased Ammonia and Nitrate levels.

Best wishes for your tank and fish!

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.