Dwarf Gouramis, how many can I have in my tank???

1. lexicon Initiate Member

I have fishless cycled a 125 litre aquarium and I was planning on stocking it with Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish and Dwarf Honey Gouramis.

I was planning on getting about 8 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish but I wondered how many Gouramis I could have and which type?

I was originally planning on getting 5 Honey Gourami, as some fish folk told me this was fine but others have said not. I don't really want to only have two as it will be a pretty sparse aquarium fish wise.

Also I know there are other Dwarf Gouramis to be had but I thought the Honey were the smallest so plumped for those.

I really love Dwarf Gourami but if I'm only to have a couple I'm not sure whether I should pursue it. I'd love to hear if anyone has any stocking suggestions for any other type of Dwarf gouramis as I think they are beautiful fish.

2. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I keep, and have kept gouramis throughout the years, and would suggest that perhaps 6 would work well, at maybe a 4:2 female-male ratio.
    You mention nothing of any fish that are primarily bottom dwellers, and am just curious as to whether you have any, or intend to do so--cheers, rick
    Your tank is certainly not over stocked, which is why I ask after any bottom dwelling fish--I will say that with the exception of certain fish, I do favour understocking a tank.
    That said, I believe your tank large enough to allow two dwarf honey males, but better advise may well come:)
    At last I avoided a typo, and spelled honey correctly, most important in the context of my sentence:).

3. lexicon Initiate Member

Thanks Rick, sorry I should have mentioned that I was thinking of adding some dwarf chain loaches at the bottom, maybe four.

so you think 6 would be good? That's music to my ears, I'm assuming you mean Honey Gouramis or were you talking about other types?

I'm not planning on breeding so do I need both M and F or can I just get one sex?

edit: I think you were editing your post whilst I was writing my reply :p

4. renthus Well Known Member Member

If you're going to add sids (good luck finding them), you should get 6+, not 4. They're incredibly social creatures, and even pair/group up often, despite not breeding in tanks. I've had cases of sids being lethargic because they were the odd guy out.

Also, a mix of M & F is important because without enough females, the males will often be aggressive towards one another or pester the limited females too much.

5. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Yes I was referring to honey gouramis, and if just keeping one gender, I would opt for female, as a group of males will likely fight.
    However, even if you don't wish to keep any fish that may result from keeping males and females, the spawn being unlikely to survive the rainbows or their parents, you will miss out on their absolutely gorgeous spawning colours, which to me is rather like having Autumn without the trees changing colour:) .
    I love chain loaches, and think that they would work perfectly in your tank.
    I often edit at length, btw, given that gathering my thoughts does take some time:)---rick

6. lexicon Initiate Member

luckily the fish shop by me stock them which is good, with that in mind maybe I should get six if that doesn't overload me and I'll try to mix the sexes up.

I think you've convinced me to get both males and females and add you suggest maybe two males and four females. This is assuming that the LFS has females, I often read that they are harder to come by.

Thanks for all your help guys, this is a really great forum. I hope to get my rainbows on Friday and will then wait a week or two before adding the gouramis.

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If you do choose gouramis (dwarf or honey), it may be beneficial to provide multiple "territories" and reduce their line of sight.

You mentioned feeling the tank may seem sparse. I've always found invertebrates to be a great way to spice up the tank. Consider checking out shrimp. I'm partial to Red Cherry Shrimp, but they will breed. Amano shrimp are also great and their babies won't survive unless the tank is brackish. You could also find someone who sells nerites; some have pretty fantastic shell patterns, don't have a huge bioload, and will help maintain algae and detritus throughout the tank (the shrimp would do the same, but wouldn't go on the glass). Either would add color and variety to your tank without killing you stocking levels.

8. renthus Well Known Member Member

The one other thing about RCS is that the gouramis will absolutely consider them a snack, so they won't last long. Snails are a great idea, though, as are plants.

9. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

My RCS/Amano fair pretty well against my dwarf gourami, but I think that's only because it is heavily planted with lots of hiding places. Babies are definitely lunch though.

I kind of like that my DG and Killis have this randomly propogated food source though. I know exactly where the food came from and gives them some variety. :;2cents

10. lexicon Initiate Member

That all sounds interesting and is def worth further research. I'm adding everything gradually over the next month so have plenty of time to look into it.

I've taken a pic of the tank although I have since added another plant to the back right corner. Ignore that filter media too!
    [​IMG]

11. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

In my VERY limited experience with Dwarf Neon Rainbows - I'd suggest plenty of vegetation / hiding places. They can be rather skittish if they feel exposed. I currently have 5 (2M 3F) in a tank by themselves and for several days they were convinced they were in extreme danger from unseen monsters.

12. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Nice scape of the decorations!

13. lexicon Initiate Member

Good point although it MAY be because they are on their own that they are like that.

I remember when I added my tetras to my other tank, they were pretty freaked out on their own until I added my other fish at which point they started acting normally. I'm not saying it is that but it might be.