1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Cardinal tetra fin nipping angel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Is this normal? My cardinals are nipping at angels tail!!!!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +2,384
    How many cardinals do you have and what size tank?

3. jhigg008

Ratings:
    +12
    8 cardinals 29 gallon. Just put angel in out of qt. thought ich in main tank was gone but angel got it and cardinals seem to be peckin at the ich!

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +2,384
    What size is the angel? And can you attach a pic of your setup?

Maybe they're picking at the angel because they can tell its weak, but that's not something I would have expected.

5. jhigg008

Ratings:
    +12
    His tail was messed up when i got him but it seems like part broke off today. Tank is cycled and nitrates at about 5 ppm.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1464992845.539634.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1464992868.466628.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1464992881.723222.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1464992895.947429.jpg

6. jhigg008

Ratings:
    +12
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1464992969.296697.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1464993012.035169.jpg

7. BamBamSorg

BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very beautiful angel and about your cardinals....maybe you should rehome a few and get another fish thats bigger like a DG. Ive learned that if there is only 1 big fish in the tank that's bigger thwn them then they will feel over powered.

Like what I am saying is that if there is nothing in the tank that will be the boss then they think they r the boss so they pick on the ones who are lesser than them....try rehoming some neons and get a bigger fish like what I said a DG or something else simular in size and aggression as the angel

8. jhigg008

Ratings:
    +12
    Definitely do not want a DG bc of he high prevalence of iridovirus. Also cant rehome the cardinals. Would have to rehome the angel :( i hope that it wont have to come to that

9. BamBamSorg

Ratings:
    +0
    Hm ok lol yeah sadly you will most likely have to rehome the angel :'(

10. jhigg008

Ratings:
    +12
    I just feel like it is not normal for the tetras to be the agressor

11. BamBamSorg

Ratings:
    +0
    When I had rummy's they were scared to death of everything that happened around and in my tank.

12. jhigg008

Ratings:
    +12
    I have only seen this happening since the ich developed on the angel.

13. BamBamSorg

Ratings:
    +0
    I would treat the angel for its ich and keep it in the other tank. Make sure that he is fully healed and well fed before he goes back into the other main tank

14. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +31
    If you do have ich then every fish in the tank has been exposed and will need to be treated. Are you able to identify the cardinal that is nipping? If so you could rehome that one fish. It may be that the diseased tissue has a smell that is attracting the cardinal. Just thinking out loud. Alison

15. jhigg008

Ratings:
    +12
    I have been treating the whole tank for about 14 days now. I thought it was safe to move the angel in a couple days ago because there were no more symptoms and my QT tank for some reason was not processing nitrites. So i thought the best plan was to move the angel into the main tank thinking that it would be best for the angel to be exposed to the tail end of ich instead of the tail end of a cycling tank (I thought my QT tank would instant cycle with some filter media that had been running in my main tank for 2 weeks or more . . . now I know that I need to do a trial run with ammonia on my QT tank before putting anything in it).

Unfortunately, it is more than one cardinal that has been doing it and I cannot tell which ones because they dart off so quickly. The angel came to me with really bad fins, and there was some blood specks in caudal fin so I figured that piece would eventually fall off.

Also, my cardinals have been eating mysis shrimp that I put in the tank for my angel and ram. I was surprised that the shrimp interested them. You could be onto something with the rotting smell attracting the cardinals.

How long does it normally take the angel fins to heal?

16. BamBamSorg

Ratings:
    +0
    My fish healed in a month or so. It will take longer since your fish are nipping at him. I recommend that you love him to a different tank for a month or more. It will heal better and not be bothered by the tetras. And for the tetras......Im just thinking aloud but maybe u could try to find a pic of the same angelfish and tape the picture to the side of the wall of the tank. The tetras should try to go after it and if they do try to nip. Then eventually they could learn that by going after the angel there is not benefit or food near or on the angel. Im just guessing but it could work. It could also help the tetras get used to the angel better and leave it alone.

17. aliray

Ratings:
    +31
    With really clean water meaning a lot of water changes than they should heal rather quickly. Shrimp of any kind seem to be a universal treat for just about any fish, the same with thawed frozen bloodworms. Even my ember tetras slurp them up and the same with brine shrimp, and they are tiny little fish. the males are only 1/2 inch long. Alison ...;)

18. jhigg008

Ratings:
    +12
    Well this morning the angel has a cottony fuzz looking growth on injured caudal fin. I wonder if it is time to QT and treat with meds for secondary bacterial or fungal infection? Ugh...

19. BamBamSorg

Ratings:
    +0
    Man your angel is not having his day. Yes I would keep him the QT and treat him for what ever you think needs to be treated :)

20. aliray

Ratings:
    +31
    Sounds like a secondary fungal infection from the wound. Tolak might be able to tell you what to use to treat it. He breeds and raises angels and is very knowledgeable. Alison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.