Carbon Questions

1. LockedBox Member Member

Hi, I'm new to using carbon and I have a few questions.

Firstly, the carbon I purchased stated that it required to be "soaked in distilled water for an hour before aquarium use" I do not have distilled water, nor can I by it. So I boiled the kettle, added some water ager and then but the bag into that. Is that sufficient?

Secondly, is there a guide for how much carbon is optimum for my use? I have a 17 gallon hailea set up with a power filter, and I change 4 liters of water daily. I bought a 300g jar of aqua one chemicarb, but the bag that came with it is large enough to hold the entire jar! Do I need to use all of it at once?

And finally, will Carbon dissolve my marine iodine supplement? I use tropic marin pro coral iodine for my crayfish, will I need to remove the carbon before I add the supplement, and will removing the carbon for about 24 hours allow my crayfish to absorb a sufficient amount of the iodine?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, carbon adsorbs iodine very well. I don't know if the cray can utilize the iodine within that window. I fed my crayfish ghost shrimp to provide it.