1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Carbon in the my Aqua Clear 110.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I used to always use activated carbon. I didn't know why I just did. I have an aqua clear 110 running on a 75g tank that I am currently cycling. I added TSS today and it has 10 small fish in it. I am not going to touch the filter until a few weeks after it has cycled. I would like to hear your opinions on weather or not I should put carbon back in the filter. Do most of you use it? And if not should I put something else in its place or just have one layer of sponge and then the ceramic tubes????
    Thanks

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +115
    I don't use it, but you can if you want to. Instead of the carbon, I just stack a second sponge on top of the first one, and put the ceramic rings on top, but you don't have to do that either. ;)

3. patzee

patzee Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like using charcoal. It always seems to make the tanks sparkle. I know there is quite a difference of opinion on using it.. guess it's just a matter of personal preference. If you do use it, make sure to change it on a regular basis - about once a month.

4. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +47
    As for being absolutely necessary... no, yo don't need activated charcoal media.

As preferring using it to keep clean water (looks and smells wise) it's a good idea as long as you replace it frequently (I use activated charcoal in some of my tanks, I replace every 3 weeks and if no replacement bag is at hand I let that tank be without charcoal until I get a new one).

There are some instances in which it makes no sense using activated charcoal. I post a few:

Soft/Acidid Blackwater tanks. (charcoal would clear a water intended to remain tea-colored)

Heavily planted tanks. (charcoal could remove some essential micro nutrients from the water column).

When using meds. (charcoal can impact the efficiency of most dosed medication by removing active agents from the water column before they can heal your fish)

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Flyin.
    I also use activated carbon in all of my tanks, always have and always will. It helps to keep my water crystal clear and odor free.

(carbon is not a substitute for water changes and tank maintenance).

It's up to you as mentioned if you want to use it or not. I also change my carbon every 3 weeks. Should your tank begin to have a foul odor then I highly recommend you add it immediately.
    Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.