Can't figure out what's wrong with betta!

1. Nicoldeme Member Member

Hi, so my male crowntail is suddenly lethargic and refusing to eat. I've have him for at least six months, so it's not that he's new. I do water changes constantly, really at least 10% every other day (I have a problem, I know). Live plants include anacharis, anubias, java fern, pothos, and a bit of micro sword floating around. I tried twice to keep ghost shrimp in the past month, but it didn't work out. Does that change anything? I took the bodies out before any proper decomposition happened. I haven't had any other deaths in the tank at the time. I've had the tank up since September, so it's cycled and stable.
    About two weeks ago I did the second treatment for Camellanus worms. After the first treatment I haven't seen any signs of the darned things, and Chili never showed any symptoms either. I treated the entire tank with Levamisole HCI. The cycle was unaffected as Levamisole is safe for bacteria. Before you say he's showing stress due to another betta in there, Royal (the Halfmoon) has been kept in a breeding net and Chili has shown very little interest in him. They flared at first, then Chili calmed down and completely ignored Royal.

Aquarium Size:
    Ten gallons

Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc:
    Two female platys
    Twelve fry, 3-5 months
    2.5" male bristlenose pleco
    Male halfmoon betta (Kept in a breeding net)
    Male Crowntail betta

Aquarium Start Date
    Started it in August, but really only got going in late September after a bout of velvet :T

Ammonia:

Nitrite:

Nitrate:

Temperature:
    78F

pH:

Aquarium Filter Type
    Tetra Whisper 360

I'd really appreciate any help possible. I love my little Chili and I'd do anything I can to save him!

2. Nicoldeme Member Member

Update: So I've put him in a heated, filtered, and cycled 2.5. Water parameters are the same as the main tank. Forgot to mention he tore most of his caudal fin off on a rogue staple lodged in the outside of the net. Also, I just got him to eat a few flakes. He's very jumpy right now and thin Poor baby

3. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Glad that you got him to eat. Maybe just too much activity in the other tank?

Could try upping the temp a little to see if that helps. Sorry, I am rather new to proper betta care myself, so hopefully someone with more experience will weigh in.

4. octavio Member Member

PH of 8.2 is a bit high. They come from waters with a much lower PH. I tell this to everyone who has a lethargic Betta that may have parasites or some undetectable condition. If you can locate them, buy some Indian Almond leaves drop one in his tank (or a small piece if he's in a quarantine bowl) and leave it there. It stains the water by releasing tannins that serve as an antibacterial and antifungal. It also softens the water. It helps approximate the Betta's native water conditions. I have actually stopped using regular fish medication altogether and treat sick fish with nothing but Indian almond leaves and clean water. Sometimes, I add a little epsom salts (one teaspoon to the gallon, dissolved). The Indian Almond's botanical name is erminalia catappa. If your LFS doesn't carry them they are readily available onlline. Just google Indian Almond Leaves. Also check out articles on the benefits and uses.

Also, your little guy will definitely enjoy a water temperature closer to 80 degrees F. That will help him pass most parasites and survive a case of ICH. Good luck.

5. Nicoldeme Member Member

So due to extreme heat where I live, water in both tanks is now a steady 82F. As for the almond leaves, in my main tank I have driftwood and my water is pretty heavily stained. I've been using half new and half water form the main tank in my water changes for Chili's 2.5. Is this alright? I also am using a double dose of Prime Stresscoat, will this help? He's really jumpy right now, and if a fish can look terrified, he does. At first I thought he had gill flukes, but now I'm not sure? The first symptoms I found were him breathing heavily and his gills looks a bit inflamed. I'll see if I can post a picture.
    Also, about the pH, is it really necessary to change it? I have tablets to bring it down, but wouldn't that put him and all my other fish under more stress? Also I'm really lazy and would hate to have to test everything x3. I will if I must though, anything for my babies :)

6. Nicoldeme Member Member

The heater in the 2.5 is a bit wacky, as well as the thermometer (Everything falls apart around me :I) The heater is a 50 watt Aqueon preset to 78F, but it keeps the tank at 76F. I haven't been able to exchange it yet. I said before the tanks were at 82F, well they were until night came. Due my horrible heater and weather, the 2.5 fluctuates from 76 to 82... :T

7. Nicoldeme Member Member

I've gotten him to eat steadily, but he's still lethargic and breathing heavily. Will the tannins from driftwood help at all?

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Don't worry about your pH. I've kept Bettas in much higher with no trouble. It's stability that's more important.

Temperature fluctuations could be bothering him, can you wrap the tank(s) in some sort of insulating material, even a wool blanket, to protect him from the drop at night?

And yes, tannins can be very soothing to a sick fish, especially when you have nothing obvious to treat and can only provide comfort.

Oh, and is the 2.5's filter cycled? Using the water from the other tank won't help, it's only adding the waste products from the other fish and nothing beneficial. Use pure, clean, treated tap water in his tank and borrow some cycled media from another tank if you can get it.

9. Nicoldeme Member Member

I tried to cycle the tank previously, and only ended up poisoning my other betta :( So I took it down, and did it again. This time I took the gravel for this tank and put it in a tub and left that in my main tank for a week or so. I also put the filter media from the small tank in the main's filter. BY doing this, I seeded it and added extra material for the bacteria to eat :) Is this alright for cycling? I've tested daily, and there have been no spikes.

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How did you try to cycle the tank before? The way you did it this time is perfect though!

11. Nicoldeme Member Member

Well, I put a bottle of TSS in and then put a few pellets in. I continued to add pellets over a few days until ammonia rose and then dropped, but I never got a nitrite spike? I figured it was well enough though (Bad decision) and put my Betta, Royal, in, and two ghost shrimp. One ammonia spike later, two dead shrimps and a very, very, very damaged Betta. I feel horrible about it, but its been a few weeks and Royal is amazing now :) As said before, I'm testing daily and there have been no issues. I'm also doing 10% water changes daily.
    Chili seems to be doing a lot better. I couldn't view him as much as I wish I could today though, family visiting a whatnot. But he has been eating well now, I'm going to start giving him pellets again rather than his normal flakes, and freeze dried bloodworms, which he LOVES. He's also coming out of his little cave too :)

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Did you add an ammonia source after you added the TSS? Because it contains some ammonia to keep the bacteria alive for a few hours out of the bottle but then you have to feed them to keep them alive and growing in the tank.

13. Nicoldeme Member Member

I had just been adding pellets daily, and even though I continued to add pellets the ammonia dropped, so I made the assumption it was cycled. I've learned from my mistakes though :) It cycled now, and Chili's a lot better.
    I'm thinking, if he's still fine in a few days, I could return him to the main tank? This tank was for Royal and I really want to get him in there soon. Also, do you think it could support three or four 5 month platy fry? Just until I can get rid of them? (I need to separate male from female before they breed)