1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Can My LED Hood Support Low Light Plants?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungClayB

YoungClayB Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have a Marineland LED aquarium hood on a 37g tank and I am wondering if the light output is sufficient to support some low light plants.

# of 60mW White LEDs = 42
    # of 60mW Blue LEDs =3
    PAR/LUX = 990

Thanks.

2. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +58
    id say probably. try anubias and java fern first. crypts are another good one

-j

3. spdrbob

spdrbob Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I put a crested Java Fern in mine a couple weeks ago and it's already showing new growth. I have the same LED lighting on my MarineLand 29g. I'll be getting more.

4. catsma_97504

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +140
    Assuming each LED bulb is 1 watt, you have low lighting. I recommend anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, vals. Plants will grow slowly, but they should do well.

Good luck.

5. szette

szette Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Marineland single bright LED with Anubias and Java Fern growing successfully. I keep the light on for about 12 hrs/day and seem happy. New growth on all! I fertilize with root tabs every few months.

6. danhammond

danhammond Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A single brite LED is equivelent to about a little below 2 watts per gallon. A double brite LED is = to about 3.5 watts per gallon. A good light source for plants is normally around 5 watts per gallon. ALso make sure your LED lamp puts out 6000K light for fresh water plants. Marine LED lights put out 10,000K light for salt water reef tanks. These are not good for fresh water plants.

7. catsma_97504

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +140
    The watt per gallon rule was designed for estimating how much light was needed when using T8 or T12 standard fluorescent lighting. This rule cannot be applied to LED or any of the high output options on the market today.

I respectfully disagree that 10,000K lighting is only for saltwater. Lighting in the 5000-10,000K range is perfect for aquarium plants. On one tank I am using a combination of 6700K and 10,000K lights with no issues.

8. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes you can keep many low-light plants. If you do vals which i would (love them) get some root tabs and they should do pretty well :;rfro

9. SJ408

SJ408 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    these kinds of LED's are not that strong, so yeah you could probably get away with low light mosses and crypts but not much else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.