Blog 55g

1. daz Member Member

This is a blog to record progress on a new 55g (uk gallons) that i am ordering next week.

Going to be trying some things that are new to me (thanks to this forum :)) ie plants and dirt

Stock will be

2 or 4 GBR
    1 or 2 small pleco
    10 or more emperor tetras

Hoping for an instant cycle using filter and driftwood from current tank and might add a sump further down the line

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Dirt tanks are fun :) Do you plan on the whole bottom being dirt, or just areas of it?

3. daz Member Member

Yeah should be fun :) after reading dannyboy's 100g thought i would try it (smaller scale of course)

Was thinking 2 areas of dirt just to see how it go's.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

With the pleco's, I think thats all you'll need.

5. daz Member Member

Built the frame of my stand today from timber i had in the garage.

DSC_0050.JPG

Not sure if i want a dark or light finish yet. Will get some thin plywood in next few days and use left over flooring (real wood not laminate) to finish the top. Might make the doors out that aswell.

Also been looking at plants for the new tank. I think these look nice but still researching.

amazon sward.jpg
    Anubias barteri (Anubias barteri).jpg
    dwarf hairgrass.jpg
    micro sward.jpg

6. daz Member Member

Update

New tank is up and running.Only a few plants in it at the moment as no LFS near me never had the fish i wanted :(.I also wanted to try use dirt in this tank but decided against it.This is my first time trying to keep live plants so taking baby steps.But when i picked up the 55g the guy gave me a 15g for free so will try dirt in that one first.

Can anyone ID the plant in picture please they look amazing picture dosn't capture the purple on the underside of the leaf ?

DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG

Light reflector isn't finished yet but its made from plastic gutter. Will get a backround in next few days and thinking of buying an inline heater as the current one is an eyesore.

Happy with progress so far cant wait to start stoking.

7. daz Member Member

Decided to have a go at making a moss tree. Will plastic cable ties leach into the water ? or should I use silicon to hold it together. Still a work in progress don't no what moss I will use yet. If anyone has done this before any tips on what has worked for you are welcome.
    DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0062.JPG

8. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I made a moss tree and used regular sewing thread/string to wrap it around my driftwood.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Looking good!

10. daz Member Member

Yeah was going to use thread to secure moss. I was thinking java moss would look nice or maybe spliting a mossball and useing that.

Thanks Akari.

On a side note is it possible to have amazon sward in low light if your using tabs and liquid ferts ?.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I suppose you could try. :)

12. daz Member Member

Update

trying to rescape my tank. But with all the rocks being at the rear of the tank there is a few mm differance(4 or 5 mm) in the water level front and rear is this safe ?. Should i rethink the layout ?.

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I would try to stick something under whatever edge of the stand needs to come up, to make the tank level. I'd hate for your tank to topple or bust because it wasn't level!

14. daz Member Member

Update

Sorted the water level turned out it was the carpet causing the problem rookie mistake I guess.

Got my java moss today and made a moss tree. Also got some anubias (not sure what kind tho) will get some java fern soon as the ones in store were covered with eggs and wasn't wanting a snail outbreak.

Some pictures still some things to do but its getting there.
    DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Looking good! That tree'll be awesome =D

16. daz Member Member

Thanks

Yeah once the moss starts growing it should look better :)