Blind adf? Question

1. pocket sized ninja Member Member

I noticed that my females eyes look like there is a bubble in the inside of her eyes. Kinda glazed over almost... shes not as active as she used to be and spends the majority of her time near the bottom of the tank. the males eyes are clear and he swims around like normal.

Could she be blind?

2. apple429 Well Known Member Member

The male could be aggresive... two ADF's in a 1.5g is kind of a lot. the general rule of thumb is 2.5 gallons per frog. That may cause aggression towards each other.

3. pocket sized ninja Member Member

They are both fine. They aren't aggressive towards each other

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've successfully housed 2 ADF in a 1 1/2 gallon with no issues.

Perhaps, in a hurry to get back down to the "safety" of the bottom, she's hurt herself. That happens pretty often.

5. pocket sized ninja Member Member

But it's both of her eyes :/ I'll see if i can get a picture of it later...

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah we know -_-.

Can we get pics, it sounds like popeye. Also, they are not "fine" in such a small space. Its very confining. Try getting them atleast a 3-5 gal and then tell me they arnt happier. What are the parameters, the temp and how often do you clean the tank and how much.

7. frogbreeder Well Known Member Member

I think I know exactly what your talking about. It looks like there is an excess build-up of fluid under the cornea (lens). I've read that this condition can be caused by a bacterial infection, which sometimes responds well to antibiotic treatment, but I'm not sure whether this is true. I also have a frog that has such an eye condition and tried treating it with Maracyn, but it didn't help. I don't think it affects their vision though. ADFs have very poor eyesight anyways, especially at close range. You could try administering antibiotics. They apparently work for some frogs. - frogbreeder

This is what my frog looks like. Is yours similar?

Attached Files:

8. pocket sized ninja Member Member

Unfortunately i cannot get a bigger tank as this is what my mother will only allow. The temp is at 72F i clean the tank every week. Take everything out clean it thoroughly, clean the gravel, glass, filter, everything, i use de-chlorinated water

9. pocket sized ninja Member Member

It looks more like a small bubble under her lens..is there a particular antibiotic that i should be looking into?

10. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I actually have the same condition in one of my fish. I have tried antibiltics as well a a few other remedies to no avail. My fish is blind in one eye and I have seperated him to make sure he gets enough food. He does fine although he is smaller than the other fish.

11. frogbreeder Well Known Member Member

Pocket sized ninja: There are very, very few medications that are truly safe for use with aquatic frogs. If you decide to treat your frog, I would recommend using a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn Two (available at most pet-stores), both contain broad-spectrum antibiotics, ones that are also often used for the treatment of bacterial infections in humans. Both medications can be used concurrently (that is, at the same time). Just be sure to follow the directions on the package carefully. As I mentioned, although they didn't help my frog, I've read that these medications will sometimes work to cure such eye conditions in ADFs. I think it's definitely worth a shot, anyways, especially since your frog appears lethargic as well. It certainly, couldn't hurt to try. The affected frog I have appears to be quite healthy and active otherwise, and her vision doesn't seem to be affected by this condition (not that ADFs have very good eye-sight to begin with). I've had her for over two years now and none of her tankmates have developed similar problems, so I'm not sure whether it's all that contagious, at least, where frogs are concerned. But, it's still better to be safe than sorry.

Wendy L.: When this condition occurs in fish, as Soltarianknight mentioned, it is sometimes referred to as "Popeye" or exophthalmus. There are several possible causes. Such swelling can be the result of an injury and subsequent secondary bacterial infection (in which case it usually affects only one eye) or it may just simply be the result of a becterial infection (in which case it usually affects both eyes). In fish, blindness or loss of vision often results, as is the case for your fish, and the condition should be treated promptly once noticed, as you have tried doing.

As for the treatment of this condition in fish, broad-spectrum antibiotics are also usually recommended. A combination of Maracyn and Maracyn Two sometimes works well for fish, as does Melafix (both can be purchased at most pet-stores that sell fish). Are these the medications you have already tried? If not, they'd definitely be worth trying. It's a good thing that you have separated your fish from the others, because I've read that in many instances this condition can be extremely contagious and contracted by the other fish in the tank. You may want to look on the internet by searching under "exophthalmus" or "popeye" to find out more about this condition and its treatment. Also, the addition of a small amount of magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) to the tank water can help draw excess fluid away from the eye and make the fish more feel comfortable, but obviously epsom salts will not kill the bacteria responsible, but rather merely treat the symptoms. And, I wouldn't advise using epsom salts with frogs (although a small amount won't hurt and might actually be beneficial, I'd definitely try using antibiotics first).

Word of caution: One bacteria sometimes associated with Popeye is the same as that which is responsible for Tuberculosis in humans. So it is very, very important to practise proper hygiene protocols when handling any fish, frog, tank water, or equipment that has come in contact with the affected specimin (i.e. by washing your hands thoroughly or wearing gloves and carefully sterilizing tanks and equipment with a bleach solution between uses, etc., etc.). I'd hate to see anyone become ill because of their love of aquatic creatures. - frogbreeder

12. pocket sized ninja Member Member

She seems to be doing better today, swimming to the top for bits of food that was floating, moving around a little more. The petstores that are around here only really carry like Ick antibiotics

13. frogbreeder Well Known Member Member

It's too bad your that local pet stores don't carry these meds, because it's always good to have them on hand, just in case of emergencies. Obviously, you could always order them from the internet, but then you'd have to pay for shipping as well - ughh! The meds themselves actually aren't that expensive (i.e. usually under $10.00 per package), if you can find them. If you have some epsom salts (or even aquarium salt, but definitely NOT table salt which contains iodine), you might try adding a little (i.e. 1/2 teaspon per 10 U.S. gallons). So, for your tank, that would amount to just a very small pinch. Although it won't cure the condition, this might make your frog feel a bit better anyways. It's good that she appears to be doing a bit better today. That she is somewhat lethargic might or might not be related to her eye-condition. As I mentioned, my frog seems to be perfectly healthy in all other respects. The diagnosis and treatment of disease in ADFs is extremely difficult. Unfortunately, we don't know a great deal about ADFs from a medical/scientific perspective, and in many cases must rely on anectodal information from other owners and breeders of the adorable little frogs. For several different reasons, we know far more about ACFs than we do about ADFs. One reason for this is that ACFs were used for human pregnancy testing in the 1930s and 40s, and they have been used as laboratory specimins more frequently than ADFs, because of their larger size, easier care, and hardier disposition. Hopefully that will change in the future and we will learn more about the science behind ADFs. - frogbreeder