Betta fish has brownish whitish fuzz eating away his fin. Help

1. elusivemuffin Initiate Member

my bettafish is now in a 5 gallon quarantine tank. took the carbon filter out but kept the biological filter and kept pump on. right now it's 80 F.
    -----
    Before in the 10 gallon till next day i noticed this:
    10 gallon planted tank shared with 5 otocinclus catfish and 1 snail.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrates: 5.0
    Nitrites: 0
    Ph: In-between 7.2-7.6
    Temperature: Constant 78 F
    I have a pump with carbon filters.
    Cleaning: I clean 25% weekly with gravel siphon. I add top fin water conditioner with 4 slime coat enhancer normal amount added.

My betta has these white bumps on his pectoral fins. Left side he has a few close together and the right just one or two. They are just there slightly protruding. He still eats like a pig and swims around, but at some points throughout the day I do notice him just kind of hanging out under the pump.

I did not notice these things on my catfish. I looked at them with a flashlight.

Here are some pictures:
    412.jpg
    413.jpg
    414.jpg
    415.jpg

The next day I noticed he had this brownish whitish fuzz at the end of his anal fin fin and it eat away some of his anal fin. It spreads really fast and takes pieces and falls off.

here is a picture: 416.jpg

Any ideas? Do you think it is columnaris? I have maracyn and plan on using it if clean aquarium-salted water fails after a few days.

I already removed the carbon out of my filter, but kept the biological filter and kept the pump on.

What temperature of the water do you think I should keep it on?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/22712-columnaris-problem.html
    Hello ElusiveMuffin. I found the link above that may be of help to you. Check out post #2 at the link. Too, you can do a search for Columnaris and Velvet at the top right hand of this screen for more information.

It's been a very long time since I"ve had Bettas and I never had to deal with those diseases. By reading the link I gave you it sounds like your Betta may have a combination of Columnaris (a bacteria) the white patches and Velvet (a fungus) the brown patches. The treatment is listed in post #2 as well.

Please wait for more responses from experienced Betta owners. I'm sure they will respond. In the mean time check out the link I gave you and see if it helps.
    Best wishes for you and your fish. He sure is a beautiful boy.
    Ken

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi ElusiveMuffin and Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

Great link and info from Ken. It's great that you actually managed to notice your boy's problem. Show's a very caring betta keeper. Hope everything gets better soon. Good luck!

4. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi! It is wonderful how much you care for your boy. Above is good advice. I would give his tank a really good clean out, perhaps something in it has caused the bacteria.
    Your boy is lovely and reminds me of Christmas with his colours.
    I hope he feels well soon.
    Welcome to the forum! :;hi1

5. elusivemuffin Initiate Member

I had him in a clean 80 F degree 5 gallon quarantine tank for 2 weeks without the carbon filter for the first 1 week. After a few days in there the fuzz fell off, taking some of his anal fin with it, but not a lot. After that I did not notice anymore or anymore fin loss. He still has things on his pectoral fins, but they do not seem to bother him. I heard from a fishkeeper that these spots may be lymphocystis, but does not usually harm the fish. It is just there and eventually goes away on its own, but it does not look like cauliflowers to me.

I'm going to be doing a large cleaning this friday in the 10 gallon tank my betta is now in. He is so much happier to be back in there, moving around a lot and making bubble nests. In the quarantine tank all he did was lay at the bottom.

Also thank you guys :)