Berried shrimp!

1. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Okay so I got 40 RCS today for my 40gal breeder tank and I see a few berried! Also guess what?! When I was taking a dead shrimp out I saw a baby shrimplet:) I couldn't take a pic because it's to small;(
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the babies! Also, are you sure it was a dead shrimp and not a molted skin? The dead shrimp you're referring to, if its in one of your pics above, then its not dead. Its a molted shrimp skin. But yeah congratulations on the babies! Have a wonderful time with your shrimp!

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea I am sure;( I have had 10 die in 48 hours. I am so mad about that. Also she died while trying to molt

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

That's a lot of fast deaths. How did you acclimate them?

5. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

floating for 15 mins then add some water then did that for a whole hour. i think its because i bought them right when they got to the store.

6. Skyy2112 Member Member

If they had trouble molting possibly low hardness?

Add cuttlebone??? @Bithimala

7. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

they aren't having trouble with molting :)

8. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Awh no :'( Sorry for your losses... Well, at least there's enough shrimp to replenish the numbers!

9. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

i hope ;(. Its like every time i look at the tank their is one dead.

10. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I would definitely agree with the cuttlebone, but I wouldn't think that would cause this many deaths so soon... Any idea what type of water they were coming from? When I got mine, I actually ended up acclimating for about 2 hours because my LFS uses RO water, so it was about a 1 pH change for them.

You may well be right about it being because they had just come in as well, not sure how the store you got them from acclimated them, so it may just have been too many changes too quickly :(

I assume tank is cycled and all that fun stuff?

11. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea ma'am

12. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

The ones still remaining doing any better today?

13. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

4 died today:(, but it's really slowing down(the deaths):)
    I have seen 5 more berried:)

14. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Ooh, at least you have some more berried ones in there! I'm glad to hear it sounds like things are improving for them. I would bet it was just too many changes too quickly for the little guys.

15. Skyy2112 Member Member

I'm expecting shrimplettes too. But I can totally understand your trauma. I hope you see baby shrimp. I've seen a couple and they are super duper cute.

16. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea I hope it continues to decrease in death:). I am feeding them alittle pinch of fish food once a day. They graze on the plants all day lol. I even saw 3 shrimplets on the glass along with baby snails :)

17. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

You may want to consider some fresh veggies as well to help them get some extra calcium.

18. Skyy2112 Member Member

Do you use algae wafers? They also contain some good vitamins and protein. Just tried cucumber today. Seen some shrimp out and about around it, but nothing compared to algae wafers

19. pineapples1 Initiate Member

Have you checked your nitrites at all? You shouldn't have that many deaths they are pretty hardy. How long has the tank been set up?

20. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

They are that many deaths because of the shipment. My nitrites is at 0

I do that every other day. The algae wafers are when I don't do the veggies:). And I saw 19 shrimplets today!!!! But 2 are dead :(
    Also here is a bonus;)
    https://vimeo.com/169540100[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And they are dying on their back :/ with the shelled cracked a little. They have very good color and they are always swimming, so.
    [​IMG][​IMG]