1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

A Hello and a Question - Seeking Advice-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelbear

Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Fishlorians, I have been abscent for quiet a while, busy with life but now I am back. Not only to stay and talk a while, and become an active member again, but also with a question and a topic.

I found out recently that this coming September or a little before, it will be our classes turn to get a classroom pet. Since we are an 18m to 2yr old class we are pretty much limmited to a fish. Probably a 10g or a 20g tank or somewhere inbetween. As it has to be heavy enough and durable enough to be safe when set at children eye level, ie a shelf where they can see it when they stand. I already have a few ideas to make the tank itself safe, like putting a net over the top to prevent anything I don't want from entering the water just in case though the top of the tank should be out of reach unless they climb which would be hard to do with out me seeing them. Also making a screen to put in front of the tank to block it off from sight to give the fish a rest if the class won't leave them alone.

The upper managment have no idea on anything about fish, I will be throwing some of my own money into this project by the end I am sure, and probably sharing my home testing equipment with my school tank, to keep the water quality up, and of course all chemicals will be way out of reach.

Now to the heart of the matter, does any one know of some colorful active fish that would be good in a busy classroom enviroment. I already am planing on putting it in a less used area of the room in a coner but I know the first few days/weeks it will be a constant draw. Of course Ill treach them rules about the tank as well. The fish would have to be something that can fit in a tank that is 10g and at max 20g but i will probably end up with a 10 or 12 or some number like that, I don't see me getting a 20 but you never know maybe a parent will donate me one, and the center will just have to pay for the rest.

Decoration wise I plan on depending on the size add some live as well as fake plants and caves to give them some hideing places and blocking off the back and sides of the tank to give them a reprive of all the kids peering in at them. Trying to do my best, any other suggestion.

2. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +16
    It sounds like you have a good plan in place already, so I'll make a stock suggestion. I would get a betta. They're beautiful, they're interactive, they're social, and they need all the help they can get. Living life in a cup on a shelf is no life. This would also give the kids a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when they realize that they likely are helping to save the betta's life, or to at least provide it with a far better one. But if you get the 20, it might be too tall for a betta (unless you get a 20 long).

3. Angelbear

Ratings:
    +1
    We would only have space for a twenty long, there are only two places the tank could really go in our room. Out of reach and sight on top of the cubbies...ie a 5g or under could fit there which defeates the purpose, and a block shelf in the back of the room, the bottom is filled with legos, foam block, soft blocks, big rubber blocks ect...for them to build with, there is a few cars, but the top of it is empty a 20 tall could not fit in that space. Probably be a 10g like I said anyways. The shelf is durable and well constructed with an added benefit of being tethered to the wall for safety and by an outlit.

One vote for Betta then, are there any other suggestions, I really don't know where they will buy the fish or how much they can afford, they asked me for fish ideas so I am trying to come up with at least a couple of options.

4. troyvsc

troyvsc Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +18
    If you are looking for easy to care for colorful fish than livebarers are a good option such as guppies, platties, mollys, swordtails. Just get all male to make sure no babies.

5. Angelbear

Ratings:
    +1
    Wouldn't sword tails be too big for a 10g I thought I read that including tail males can get to be 4" - 5" somewhere.

Guppies might be good, could not guarantee only males unless they let me go with them or give me the money to buy the fish myself. Though predictably with guppies people who know nothing are attracted to the ones with the full tails. They will probably go to walmart *shiver*

6. troyvsc

troyvsc Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I was thinking of the 20 gallon long when I responded sorry about that.

Forgot that swordtails are a little bigger but a few guppys would do fine in a 10 or some neon tetras and hippies. Another small cool looking fish that stays small is a Rummynose tetras although you would want to have small group for both the neon and rummynose tetras.

7. Angelbear

Ratings:
    +1
    That's fine :) I figured that after you posted.

neon and rummynose

hippies? that term is unfamiliar to me.

8. Angelbear

Ratings:
    +1
    Heading to place called work.....be back on or check on phone some time later tonight

9. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +23
    14 male Endler's in 10 gallons, of course. They are perky, zippy, and colorful. They are extremely hardy and will put up with a wide range of conditions. There will be some chasing going on, but they will not become violent, and the children will always see it as playful behavior. More importantly, they will not live too long. The natural lifespan is about 1 to 1.5 years, which is a good idea if you're talking about a classroom of toddlers and teachers who have a lot to do already without having to worry about fish over the long term. The other fish discussed up till now in this thread will live from 2 to 5 years, the exception of neons, who may live up to 10 years if they survive at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.