55 gallon - 60 gallon stocking

1. Tropical Aquatics Member Member

Hi, im new to the forums and have been in the hobby of aquarium for a few months yet I have still done a lot of research. I just wanted to see what people have to say on my newest tank. I just want to say I only have one tank, and am planning to get my second. This one will be a planted community tank, which I plan to stock with;

x2 Angelfish

x2 German Rams

x? I am still trying to find out which type of rainbow fish, I forgot what type it was at the fish store I went to that they recommended, but its a smaller species...

x? Also trying to figure out the schooling fish? I want some sort of small schooling fish in the tank, maybe a tetra?

x? One last thing, if someone can suggest any bottom feeders that would be appreciated.

So, this is the plan for a 60 gallon tank but I am not completely sure if I will get 60 or 55 gallons, I will update if there are any changes but for now, 60 it is.

Thanks for any responses, and looking forward to join this great community :)

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know the dimensions? If you have a choice, I'd go with whatever tank is longer. Some 60 gallons are 36 inches and tall while the 55's are 48 inches long. Go with whatever is longer. If they are both the same length then go with whatever is deeper

Here is what I would do

2 Angels
    2 German Blue Rams
    8-10 Praecox Rainbows (smaller species)
    10 Diamond Tetras/Lemon Tetras
    12-14 Kuhli Loaches/8 Zebra Loaches

Make sure the temperature stays around 80 degrees

3. Tropical Aquatics Member Member

Well, the tank was pretty long but im not sure which tank I will get yet, will keep everyone updated. Also, I had a few kuhli loaches, 3 to be exact. I know, they are social and need to be in a school but I NEVER saw them.... I was worried that they didnt eat or they died after a few weeks... Would they social and out? Also, do I have to have sand for them since they burrow, or can I have a black gravel. It may not be jagged, it may be like an active substrate which is pebble like, would that be fine?

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes if you get more kuhli loaches they will come out more. 6 is a minimum but in a 48 inch tank I like to say to go as high as 15 as the more you have the more they will come out.

It's definitely best to have sand of you can but as long as the substrate has no jagged edges they should be fine