30 gallon tank: Is this overstock?

1. mr.funguy Initiate Member

I have a 30 gal, 24" across the front, 12" from front to back. I have:
    5 Otos (1.75" Full Grown)
    5 Cherry Barbs (2" Full)
    8 H Rasboras (1.7" Full)
    1 Dwarf Gourami (2" Full)

They get along pretty well, and yes... I have done all of the correct cycling and prep.
    I would like to know if that's too many when they get full grown.
    Open to any suggestions.
    Thanks for reading:)

2. Kent799 Initiate Member

I'd say you're a little over stocked for when they are full grown but not crazy over stocked!

3. fishy friend2 Member Member

Your definitely not overstocked mate. I don't see how that tank is overstocked at all

4. Henri Well Known Member Member

Neither do I think you're overstocked, actually I'd suggest adding something to your stock lol. You can give names of the fish you like and we can help you out.

5. Kent799 Initiate Member

[​IMG]

Let me know if I have any of your fish wrong! Website it www.aqadvisor.com. I like using this website!

6. fishy friend2 Member Member

Those website are usually no use, as they don't take lots of things into account before making there "calculations"

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You're def not overstocked! I'd actually add more fish. I'd add three more otos 3 more cherry barbs and then maybe a couple platy or something to finish it off. You also couple probably do a school of pygmy cories.

I do not like that website. It gives bad advice and shouldn't be taken as always going to be correct. It really is a good think to use to give yourself an idea of whats good stock but it truely is almost always wrong.

8. Kent799 Initiate Member

Is there a website that you would suggest? Or how are you guys calculating that the 30 gal. tank isn't slightly over stocked?

9. fishy friend2 Member Member

There is no website, you have to take a number of things into account when choosing fish for your tank like.....
    Territorial
    Is it schooling
    What part of the tank does it occupy
    What's its bioload
    It is sensitive
    It the tank of filtered
    Is the tank, high or long
    Is the tank planted

10. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would suggest researching the fish you're interested in to find out max size and maybe a little about their bioloads. You also need to consider what level of the tank the fish stays in. You can find tons of information on almost any fish imaginable. I don't think the tank is overstocked at all, I think a few more fish and she'll be stocked.

11. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i don't think it's overstocked. that aqadvisor is good at seeing which fish are compatible...but in terms of numbers, it can be off. it takes time to know what is the right stocking. you've come to the right place! you'll learn a ton. and of course, do your own research. welcome to the land of fishlore :)

hi ewaston...i was actually thinking of you the other day :)

12. fishy friend2 Member Member

Well anyways..................... Instead of getting more species of fish I would recommend that you get more cherry barba to up the number to 8 as they love to be in larger schools. Or you could possibly get 2 female gouramis

13. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i would leave the gourami as is. don't get any females. i think the tank is too small to have a breeding situation.

14. fishy friend2 Member Member

Then just up one of the groups of fish by 3-4 instead

15. mr.funguy Initiate Member

Thank you all. I like the idea of adding more of the speciesI already have. I can really add 3 more otos and 3 more barbs? sounds like so many... The only other thing I would consider is a different centerpiece than gourami, but not sure what. Any thoughts?

16. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

you could have multiple honey gouramis....they are not aggressive, as DGs can be. you could add 3 more otos. probably a couple more barbs.

wait a sec....if your tank is 24 inches....i don't think it can be a 30g. what are the exact numbers?

17. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You are correct actually. Unless this is a custom tank or a really old tank that they don't make that size anymore or maybe a bow front the only standard size tank that has 24 x 12 as two of the demensions is a 15 gallon and a 20H

If this is true I am going to lean towards you being fully stocked if not over stocked.

And jeri, I'm glad you were thinking about me ;) it has been AGES since I've been on here it seems. I've just been too crazy busy with my classes. I've been a mess! :D

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I like using it too :) I like to know just how overstocked I am...

Attached Files:

19. fishy friend2 Member Member

Hmm, my 15 gallon is 24, by 12 by 12 I wonder if the tank is around 15-20 gallons

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

or understocked, though I'm not quite finished....

Attached Files:

• 75.png
      75.png
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views: