1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

20 gallon (upgrading soon)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bporter9

Bporter9 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all I am new here and was told to head this direction from my initial newb post. So here goes [don't be to harsh ]
    I have a 20 gallon (upgrading soon) I have 2 small orange fish...started with a group of 6 but the others died..these last 2 have lasted for about 1-2yrs now. I have a small white/orange minnow. I also have a porthole catfish, a plecko(got from a friend who was going to flush him, I do know they get big), and an African knife fish(also got from friend before they flushed it). I have had this in my 20 gallon for about 5 or 6 months now.
    I also have a 10 gallon tank with a male and female fiddler crab.

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Welcome to fishlore! Where at in tennessee?

Yeah you have quite a bit of stocking issues. Specifically the knife fish can get over 1 foot long. You'll want a 120 gallon tank or larger I believe. There are other members that know more about them than I do. Porthole cats need a 36 inch tank minimum so looking at a 30 gallon long or a 40 gallon breeder minimum. If it's a standard pleco, then you'll need to rehome him. A clown pleco would work probably in a 20 gallon as an alternative.

3. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +2,076
    TexasDomer, Anders247 you guys know more about this stuff than I do.

Glad to see you here! The Common Pleco, if that's what you have, can get to be 2 feet long or more so you may need to rehome him and soon. They grow fast and need a tank of at least 150 gallons IIRC.

I think, not sure, that there may be temperature incompatibilities with your stock as well. Can you post a picture of your unidentified fish? I'm sure someone here will know!

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Alison:;hi2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.