1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

15g High Stocking. Input Please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi guys. Friends tank.

[​IMG]

Ideas for stock? We like the rock setup. Have one plant about 7-12 in tall, and a small ludwigia repens cut off about 4-7 in. Thinking one in the back, and one in the back right corner.

Whats an ideal stock? Please include photos. We would like a pleco, and to fill the tank levels. IE top, middle, bottom. Please include a full stock, not just ("use --- for the bottom")

Please somewhat hardy fish, this tank should have a setup for 6+ mos., but may have a move at that point. Dont want to overstress.

This tank will be quick cycled w/ PAmmon, and bacteria.

Possibly a DIY background.

Include your ideas/thoughts! We want pics too. =]

-Kye, Koda, and J

2. JFreshwater

JFreshwater Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    A tank of that shape will be limited to fairly small fish because there is not much lateral swim space. Some hardy small fish would be guppies or small tetras, like ember tetras.

3. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    But definately no pleco I'm afraid! Even bristle nose need and absolute MINIMUM 20 gallons long. Maybe there is some sort of micro catfish I don't know, but any pleco that you would normally see in a pet store is usually unsuitable for your size tank.
    ~Mudkipz

4. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not sure there are any bottom dwellers suitable for such a small amount of space at the bottom.

Definitely no Pleco and I don't think even the Dwarf Cory could deal with that.

I think the idea of Guppies or Ember Tetras is good! If you had some Shrimp they may stay around the bottom but I'm not sure.

5. Aichmalotizo

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +9
    The Asian stone catfish would be alright in that footprint, but they prefer sand bottoms, high oxygen content, and water around 70 degrees... So probably not a good fit. Scarlet Badis would probably make a pretty good centerpiece fish though

6. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    We have a few places with Baby Plecos. (Not the 3ft ones). Would these be acceptable for 3-6mos until a larger tank is acquired?

(Bristle, crown, rubber, etc)

7. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Probably best to wait until the upgrade happens and then get one of the smaller plecos that only need a min 20 gal. I think a bunch of endlers would look nice in that tank!

8. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Bump - anything we can add to this list?

Guppies? Endlers?

Catfish I havent seen at any LFs.

Scarlet Badis havent seen them, super cool.

Gravel is infact a gravel. No sand.

Cherry Barbs?

Dwarf Gourami?

No angels... Discus... No goldfish/koi/plec's... Any type of cichlid??

Glass Cats? (Small version NOT bicch???)

Shrimp will possibly be added when my population is larger to give some away.

9. JFreshwater

Ratings:
    +5
    There's not enough space for cherry barbs, dwarf gourami, goldfish, koi, plecos, or cichlids.

10. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Oh I know no koi, angels, discus etc.

I think minim for Glass Cats would be a 20, even thats not the best.

No smaller cichlid? I know firemouths tend to stay pretty small, maybe when young?

No barbs/DG? Really? Will fact check that, seems strange to me, is it be/c the small footprint?

11. JFreshwater

Ratings:
    +5
    Firemouth get about 6''-7'', they're not really considered a small cichlid. Smaller ones would be Rams and they require a 20g minimum. Not only the small footprint, but 15g is just not a lot. Not enough swim space for 6+ barbs or a DG. DG need a little more lateral swim space IMO.

I think a school of 10-15 Ember Tetra or some Guppies/Endlers with some shrimp would be the way to go. The shape of the tank limits you to tiny fish. Not a bad thing, there's some cool small fish. Are you open to ordering fish online? It can be a little more expensive due to shipping costs, but you can order almost any fish.

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +1,198
    What's the exact footprint?
    There are some tiny species of barbs but they aren't very common and most aren't even available in the hobby.
    Definitely no to the dwarf gourami.

No cichlids, just looking at the tank in the picture, imo it'd be too small even for shelldwellers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.